New Evidence Suggests Nigeria Christian Massacre Was Part Of Coordinated Attacks (Worthy News Investigation)

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent

JOS, NIGERIA (Worthy News) – New evidence has emerged suggesting that this week’s massacre of Christians in Nigeria’s Plateau State was part of coordinated attacks on several predominantly Christian communities, as questions mounted over why security forces allegedly failed to intervene despite advance warnings.

At least 27 people were reportedly killed in simultaneous or closely timed attacks on Bin Mper, Chakfem and Rim villages on the night of August 17-18, according to Christian news outlet TruthNigeria.

However, a Worthy News investigation indicates that the figure includes about 25 people killed in Bin Mper whose deaths were previously reported by Worthy News, meaning the toll does not appear to represent 27 additional killings.

TruthNigeria said four civilian guards were among those killed across the three communities, while advocacy group International Christian Concern (ICC) separately reported at least 24 Christians killed at Bin Mper, where women and children were among the victims.

The latest accounts suggest the bloodshed was broader and more coordinated than initially understood, with armed assailants striking communities miles apart at roughly the same time.

CHRISTIAN VILLAGES ATTACKED

TruthNigeria said the first attack began at about 10:30 p.m. in Rim village in Riyom Local Government Area, where armed men attacked a civilian guard post, killing two guards.

As local volunteers attempted to protect more than 1,000 residents, shootings were reported about 40 miles (64 kilometers) away in Chakfem village in neighboring Mangu Local Government Area. Another assault followed at Bin Mper in Kombun District.

Sokhotden Mathias of the Mwagavul Development Association said Chakfem and Bin Mper came under attack concurrently, leaving poorly equipped civilian guards attempting to defend residents with sticks and hunting rifles.

Witnesses interviewed by TruthNigeria said the attackers spoke Fulani. However, authorities have not publicly established the identities or motives of all those responsible for the attacks.

The mainly Muslim Fulani number in the millions across Nigeria and the wider Sahel and comprise numerous clans and communities, although armed militants from some Fulani communities have been blamed for extremist violence targeting Christian farming villages.

FAMILIES KILLED AT HOME

Christian leaders in Nigeria’s Middle Belt have long accused Islamist armed Fulani groups of deliberately targeting predominantly Christian farming communities and attempting to seize their ancestral lands.

The new testimony also provided harrowing details from Bin Mper. Civilian guard leader Shadrach Ayuba said he was shot in the leg and later learned that his wife and three children had been killed inside their home.

Another guard, Jonathan Ishaku, said he fled into surrounding cornfields after hearing gunfire. When he returned, he said three of his children were dead and his wife had been shot in the back.

Community representatives said women and children were among those killed, reinforcing earlier accounts that attackers moved through the predominantly Christian community during the night.

Survivors and local representatives also raised serious concerns about the response of Nigeria’s security forces.

SOLDIERS ACCUSED OF INACTION

Youth leader Solomon Dalyop alleged that soldiers stationed about three miles (five kilometers) from Rim did not intervene despite calls for assistance during fighting that he said continued for about two hours.

Plateau State lawmaker Matthew Sylvanus Kwarpo said security agencies had received intelligence indicating Kombun District could be attacked and called for an independent investigation into possible security failures.

“If the security agencies were duly informed but did not do enough to prevent the attack, that calls for serious concern,” Kwarpo told TruthNigeria.

He also alleged that the violence was aimed at taking land and displacing residents, saying several communities in Kombun District had already been taken over and displaced residents were unable to return.

TruthNigeria said attempts to obtain responses from the spokesman for the joint military task force Operation Enduring Peace and Plateau State police were unsuccessful. Police were separately reported to have arrested a suspect in connection with the Bin Mper attack.

PRESIDENT ORDERS SECURITY REVIEW

The allegations come as Nigerian President Bola Tinubu ordered a sweeping review of the threats facing Africa’s most populous nation and how security agencies respond to them.

Tinubu directed officials to immediately prepare a comprehensive National Threat Assessment and a rolling five-year Strategic Defence Operations Plan designed to strengthen coordination among Nigeria’s defense, intelligence and security services. The presidential order was announced Thursday.

The presidential directive comes amid continuing killings despite repeated security operations and government pledges to protect vulnerable communities.

Following the Bin Mper massacre, the Nigerian Army relocated the tactical headquarters of Operation Enduring Peace from the Plateau State capital, Jos, to Mangu and deployed additional troops, equipment and operational resources.

Major General Maxwell Dangana, commander of Operation Enduring Peace, said moving the headquarters would allow commanders to monitor developments directly and conduct on-the-spot assessments.

ARMY MOVES CLOSER

The military also launched a fresh operation aimed at confronting armed groups threatening Mangu and surrounding communities.

Yet residents and local leaders want to know why existing security measures were insufficient to prevent the killings despite reported warnings.

Kwarpo said there must be an investigation to establish what happened before and during the attacks and whether security failures allowed the assailants to reach the communities.

The violence also underscores a longstanding dispute over what is driving killings across Nigeria’s Middle Belt.

Nigerian authorities have rejected claims that the country’s violence is primarily the result of broader anti-Christian hostility, pointing to a complex mixture of competition over land and water, population growth, desertification, ethnic tensions, criminality and armed groups.

MOTIVES REMAIN DISPUTED

Christian leaders and advocacy organizations say those factors alone cannot explain attacks in which predominantly Christian villages, churches, clergy and worshippers have repeatedly been targeted.

Kwarpo described the latest violence as an attempt “to seize our lands from us and displace us.”

The attacks come amid broader concern over the safety of Christians in Nigeria, which ranks seventh on advocacy group Open Doors’ 2026 World Watch List of 50 countries where Christians face the most severe persecution.

Open Doors said 3,490 Nigerian Christians were killed for faith-related reasons between October 1, 2024, and September 30, 2025—72 percent of the 4,849 such deaths it documented worldwide.

Rights group Amnesty International separately estimated last year that at least 2,630 people had been killed in Plateau State during Tinubu’s first two years in office, accusing authorities of failing to adequately protect communities.

NIGERIA DEADLIEST FOR CHRISTIANS

Besides violence involving armed Fulani groups, Nigerian Christians face attacks from Islamist organizations such as Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), while kidnapping for ransom remains widespread.

The latest attacks add to a series of killings previously reported by Worthy News across Plateau and neighboring states, including attacks on churches, Christian farming communities and clergy.

In Mangu and Riyom, Christian communities are demanding greater protection and accountability as evidence emerges that attackers may have been able to strike several locations in a coordinated operation.

The latest bloodshed has added urgency to Tinubu’s security review as families in Plateau State continue burying their dead.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Israel Faces Western Pressure Over West Bank Settlements, Gaza Aid Convoy Strike
Israel Faces Western Pressure Over West Bank Settlements, Gaza Aid Convoy Strike
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Israel observed Shabbat on Saturday amid fresh diplomatic tensions with the European Union and several Western nations over plans to expand settlements in the West Bank, known biblically as Judea and Samaria, and a separate dispute over a deadly Israeli strike on an aid convoy in Gaza.

NATO On Alert Over Iranian Threat To European Allies
NATO On Alert Over Iranian Threat To European Allies
Saturday, August 22, 2026

NATO’s chief has sought to reassure Bulgaria of the military alliance’s support amid reports that Iran has weighed attacking American military targets in Europe if U.S. President Donald J. Trump orders renewed or expanded strikes against the Islamic Republic.

New Evidence Suggests Nigeria Christian Massacre Was Part Of Coordinated Attacks (Worthy News Investigation)
New Evidence Suggests Nigeria Christian Massacre Was Part Of Coordinated Attacks (Worthy News Investigation)
Saturday, August 22, 2026

New evidence has emerged suggesting that this week’s massacre of Christians in Nigeria’s Plateau State was part of coordinated attacks on several predominantly Christian communities, as questions mounted over why security forces allegedly failed to intervene despite advance warnings.

Freed US Missionary, Wife Thank Christians For Prayers After Niger Captivity
Freed US Missionary, Wife Thank Christians For Prayers After Niger Captivity
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Kevin Rideout, an American Christian missionary who spent more than nine months in captivity after being abducted by suspected Islamic militants in Niger, and his wife thanked believers for their prayers after they were reunited.

Archaeologists Uncover Possible Exodus-Era Site Along Egypt’s Ancient Military Road
Archaeologists Uncover Possible Exodus-Era Site Along Egypt’s Ancient Military Road
Friday, August 21, 2026

Egyptian archaeologists say new discoveries in northeastern Egypt may help identify a long-lost ancient city that stood along one of the most important military roads of the ancient world — a route many scholars have connected to the biblical account of the Exodus.

Israel’s High Court Blocks Army Radio Closure, Citing ‘Improper’ Motives
Israel’s High Court Blocks Army Radio Closure, Citing ‘Improper’ Motives
Friday, August 21, 2026

Israel’s High Court of Justice has unanimously overturned the government’s decision to close the influential Army Radio after 75 years, ruling that ministers acted at least partly on “improper and invalid” political considerations because they objected to the station’s broadcasts.

Netanyahu Tells Kushner Israel Remains Firmly Opposed to Palestinian State
Netanyahu Tells Kushner Israel Remains Firmly Opposed to Palestinian State
Friday, August 21, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Jared Kushner that Israel remains firmly opposed to the creation of a Palestinian state, making the position “very clear” during a meeting this week with the Trump adviser, according to a senior Israeli official cited by JNS.