Israel Faces Western Pressure Over West Bank Settlements, Gaza Aid Convoy Strike

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent

WARSAW/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel observed Shabbat on Saturday amid fresh diplomatic tensions with the European Union and several Western nations over plans to expand settlements in the West Bank, known biblically as Judea and Samaria, and a separate dispute over a deadly Israeli strike on an aid convoy in Gaza.

The pressure increased after Israeli authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes connected to the controversial E1 settlement project east of Jerusalem.

Critics say construction in the area would further separate predominantly Palestinian East Jerusalem from the West Bank and disrupt territorial continuity between Palestinian population centers, complicating prospects for a future Palestinian state.

Israel maintains deep historical and religious ties to the territory and successive Israeli governments have disputed claims that Jewish communities there are inherently illegal. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has also made clear that his government views Jerusalem as the “eternal, undivided capital” of Israel and the Jewish people.

WESTERN NATIONS PRESS ISRAEL

Leaders of France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Britain, Norway and Canada initially condemned the plans and urged Israel to halt settlement expansion, saying settlements in what they called “the occupied Palestinian territory” violate international law.

The European Commission, the EU’s executive, separately backed the criticism, with President Ursula von der Leyen describing Israel’s decision to publish construction tenders as “unacceptable.”

Seven additional countries—Austria, Australia, Belgium, Greece, New Zealand, Spain and Sweden—subsequently joined the call for Israel to retract its E1 settlement plans.

Von der Leyen warned that the project undermines prospects for a two-state solution by dividing the West Bank and breaking the territorial continuity of Palestinian areas.

POLAND SUMMONS ISRAELI ENVOY

Separately, Poland summoned Israel’s ambassador in Warsaw after Israeli authorities decided not to pursue criminal proceedings over an Israeli military strike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza in April 2024.

Among those killed was Damian Sobol, a Polish volunteer from Przemyśl, who was working for the humanitarian organization founded by celebrity chef José Andrés.

Poland’s Foreign Ministry said it was “very disappointed” by Israel’s August 19 decision to discontinue the proceedings and gave a critical assessment of efforts so far to establish the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

Warsaw said prosecutors in Przemyśl were conducting a parallel investigation and expected Israel to provide Polish authorities with the explanations and materials requested by investigators.

AUSTRALIA ALSO PROTESTS

Polish Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki described Israel’s decision as “surprising,” saying the use of military force must be proportionate and that inappropriate use of force should have consequences.

Australia also summoned Israel’s ambassador over the decision as Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom was among those killed in the strike.

Israel acknowledged shortly after the 2024 attack that its forces had mistakenly struck the clearly marked World Central Kitchen vehicles. The military dismissed two officers and reprimanded senior commanders following its investigation.

The latest decision came as Israel announced criminal investigations into other high-profile incidents involving civilian deaths in Gaza while declining to pursue criminal proceedings in the World Central Kitchen case.

GAZA DEATH TOLL DISPUTED

The diplomatic disputes come as the Gaza war continues to generate international criticism and sharply contested accounts of casualties and responsibility.

Hamas-linked authorities say more than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the war began after Hamas-led fighters attacked southern Israel on October 7, 2023, killing about 1,200 people and abducting some 250 others.

Israel has questioned the Palestinian casualty figures and says its military operations target Hamas and other armed groups rather than civilians.

Additionally, Israeli officials accuse Hamas of operating among civilians and using residential areas and other civilian infrastructure for military purposes, charges the group has denied despite evidence and witness accounts supporting at least some of Israel’s allegations.

WESTERN RELATIONS STRAINED

European governments argue that expanding settlements threatens prospects for a future Palestinian state, while Israel maintains historical, religious and security claims in the disputed region.

The controversies have left Israel facing mounting diplomatic pressure and growing isolation over its declared war against Hamas in Gaza and settlement policies, with prospects for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict remaining deeply uncertain.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Israel Faces Western Pressure Over West Bank Settlements, Gaza Aid Convoy Strike
Israel Faces Western Pressure Over West Bank Settlements, Gaza Aid Convoy Strike
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Israel observed Shabbat on Saturday amid fresh diplomatic tensions with the European Union and several Western nations over plans to expand settlements in the West Bank, known biblically as Judea and Samaria, and a separate dispute over a deadly Israeli strike on an aid convoy in Gaza.

NATO On Alert Over Iranian Threat To European Allies
NATO On Alert Over Iranian Threat To European Allies
Saturday, August 22, 2026

NATO’s chief has sought to reassure Bulgaria of the military alliance’s support amid reports that Iran has weighed attacking American military targets in Europe if U.S. President Donald J. Trump orders renewed or expanded strikes against the Islamic Republic.

New Evidence Suggests Nigeria Christian Massacre Was Part Of Coordinated Attacks (Worthy News Investigation)
New Evidence Suggests Nigeria Christian Massacre Was Part Of Coordinated Attacks (Worthy News Investigation)
Saturday, August 22, 2026

New evidence has emerged suggesting that this week’s massacre of Christians in Nigeria’s Plateau State was part of coordinated attacks on several predominantly Christian communities, as questions mounted over why security forces allegedly failed to intervene despite advance warnings.

Freed US Missionary, Wife Thank Christians For Prayers After Niger Captivity
Freed US Missionary, Wife Thank Christians For Prayers After Niger Captivity
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Kevin Rideout, an American Christian missionary who spent more than nine months in captivity after being abducted by suspected Islamic militants in Niger, and his wife thanked believers for their prayers after they were reunited.

Archaeologists Uncover Possible Exodus-Era Site Along Egypt’s Ancient Military Road
Archaeologists Uncover Possible Exodus-Era Site Along Egypt’s Ancient Military Road
Friday, August 21, 2026

Egyptian archaeologists say new discoveries in northeastern Egypt may help identify a long-lost ancient city that stood along one of the most important military roads of the ancient world — a route many scholars have connected to the biblical account of the Exodus.

Israel’s High Court Blocks Army Radio Closure, Citing ‘Improper’ Motives
Israel’s High Court Blocks Army Radio Closure, Citing ‘Improper’ Motives
Friday, August 21, 2026

Israel’s High Court of Justice has unanimously overturned the government’s decision to close the influential Army Radio after 75 years, ruling that ministers acted at least partly on “improper and invalid” political considerations because they objected to the station’s broadcasts.

Netanyahu Tells Kushner Israel Remains Firmly Opposed to Palestinian State
Netanyahu Tells Kushner Israel Remains Firmly Opposed to Palestinian State
Friday, August 21, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Jared Kushner that Israel remains firmly opposed to the creation of a Palestinian state, making the position “very clear” during a meeting this week with the Trump adviser, according to a senior Israeli official cited by JNS.