U.S. Test-Launches Minuteman III ICBM As Nuclear Tensions With Russia Remain Fragile

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – The U.S. Air Force launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile from Vandenberg Space Force Base in Southern California early Wednesday, saying the long-planned test was designed to verify the readiness of America’s land-based nuclear deterrent.

Officials stressed the launch into the Pacific Ocean had been scheduled in advance and was not a response to current world events.

“Our ability to conduct these rigorous, realistic tests is foundational to our national security,” said Gen. S.L. Davis, commander of Air Force Global Strike Command. He said the launch confirmed the readiness of the ICBM force, from operators to the weapon system itself.

Engineers monitored the missile’s propulsion, guidance, and reentry systems under extreme physical stress. Lt. Col. Karrie Wray, commander of the 576th Flight Test Squadron, said the test helped confirm that the reentry vehicle could be delivered “with pinpoint accuracy.”

The Minuteman III, first deployed in 1970, remains the backbone of the land-based leg of America’s nuclear triad. Roughly 400 missiles remain on alert in Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota, even as the Air Force prepares to replace the aging system with the LGM-35A Sentinel.

The U.S. launch comes just days after Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed a test of Russia’s RS-28 Sarmat missile, known in the West as “Satan II,” calling it the “most powerful missile in the world.” Moscow says the Sarmat is designed to carry multiple nuclear warheads and eventually replace older Soviet-era Voyevoda missiles.

The timing underscores a delicate and increasingly dangerous moment between Washington and Moscow. The last major U.S.-Russia nuclear arms control agreement, New START, is set to expire in 2026, while Russia suspended participation in the treaty in 2023 after the war in Ukraine deepened its confrontation with the West. Reuters reported in 2024 that Moscow did not plan to sign a replacement agreement, leaving the world’s two largest nuclear powers without a clear arms-control framework if no new deal is reached.

For now, both nations are pressing ahead with nuclear modernization. The United States says its testing is meant to ensure deterrence remains safe, reliable, and effective. Russia, meanwhile, is using new weapons tests to project strength at a time when its relations with NATO and Washington are badly fractured.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Monday, August 17, 2026

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Monday, August 17, 2026

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Monday, August 17, 2026

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Monday, August 17, 2026

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
Monday, August 17, 2026

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.