U.S. Military Strikes Continue Daily Along Pacific Drug Routes

By Brett Rowland | The Center Square

(Worthy News) – The U.S. military’s recent surge against suspected drug traffickers in the Eastern Pacific has underscored President Donald Trump’s aggressive anti-drug strategy, with five deadly strikes since April 11, raising the total number of destroyed vessels to 53.

This campaign marks a shift from previous interdiction tactics, with the Trump administration using military force against suspected smugglers. While officials cite the destruction of vessels and arrests as signs of success, some lawmakers, rights groups and legal experts have questioned the use of lethal force and the legal justification for these strikes.

After a lull in activity since March 25, U.S. Southern Command provided details about five strikes in the Eastern Pacific since April 11. On April 11, Joint Task Force Southern Spear hit two vessels, killing five. The command notified the U.S. Coast Guard to activate the search-and-rescue system for a survivor. Over the next three days, three more strikes were ordered, resulting in nine additional deaths.

Military officials said the boats targeted were traveling along established drug trafficking routes and participating in drug operations. However, they did not provide information on whether the strikes are deterring trafficking, or if there has been a significant decline in smuggling activity. Trump said last year that military strikes brought nearly all smuggling activity to a halt.

As of Thursday, Joint Task Force Southern Spear had destroyed 53 vessels in 52 strikes: 50 go-fast boats, two low-profile vessels, and one semi-submersible. Officials said 178 people have died in these operations. Search-and-rescue efforts were suspended in 12 cases. Two people were recovered dead, one was rescued and handed over to Costa Rica, and two wounded men were repatriated, according to a Department of War official.

The official said the total operational cost will be determined after it ends. Officials from the Pentagon and Southern Command did not respond to questions about estimates of drugs destroyed, smuggling traffic, or preliminary cost estimates.

Since the strikes began, officials have not released public estimates of the amount of drugs seized or destroyed during Operation Southern Spear. In one case, Dominican Republic authorities reported seizing about 2,200 pounds of suspected cocaine after a U.S. airstrike in September 2025. If each strike resulted in a similar haul, the total could exceed 100,000 pounds, although that figure remains unconfirmed.

Elaine McCusker, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, raised questions about the effectiveness of the program.

“Examining the costs of operations – financially, and in light of necessary trade-offs – can be useful in measuring their effectiveness and real strategic worth,” she noted in a December 2025 analysis that estimated the cost of the operation at $1 billion. “Even a conservative estimate … indicates we may be mistaking what we can do with what we should do to achieve a measurable and meaningful reduction in the availability of illicit drugs to Americans.”

Trump has often said that each strike saves 25,000 American lives, although he has not provided evidence to support that number. While drug overdose deaths in the U.S. have decreased, they remain a significant public health issue. Provisional CDC data show about 87,000 overdose deaths from October 2023 to September 2024, down from roughly 114,000 the previous year.

The Center Square also reached out to the Drug Enforcement Administration with questions about how the foreign strikes are affecting illicit supplies inside the U.S. A spokesperson said the agency was not able to provide an immediate response on Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard reported record-setting drug interdictions in the Eastern Pacific in 2025, including 511,000 pounds of cocaine valued at over $3.8 billion, according to an agency report.

While the U.S. had traditionally stopped, boarded, and arrested smugglers and tallied up the amount of illicit contraband, Trump has taken a more aggressive approach to suspected drug smugglers in the region. In September 2025, Trump ordered military strikes on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean. These strikes are in addition to counter-drug efforts by the DEA, the FBI, Customs and Border Protection and the Coast Guard.

The president’s anti-drug efforts extend beyond strikes and interdictions. Early in 2025, Trump, a second-term Republican, also designated Tren de Aragua and Mexican cartels as terrorist organizations. Last year, Trump declared illicit fentanyl was a weapon of mass destruction.

Democrats, at least one Republican and several international organizations have criticized the U.S. military strikes. The Republican-controlled Congress rejected a measure that would have required Trump to secure Congressional authorization before launching such strikes. Groups such as Amnesty International USA say the U.S. is murdering people at sea without trial. The Trump administration says it’s using the strikes to kill suspected narcoterrorists smuggling drugs bound for America.

The president has said he could use the military to stop drug smuggling in other parts of the globe, including at the U.S.-Mexico border, but has yet to take such action.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Monday, August 17, 2026

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Monday, August 17, 2026

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Monday, August 17, 2026

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Monday, August 17, 2026

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
Monday, August 17, 2026

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.