
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief
(Worthy News) – A major diplomatic breakthrough emerged Thursday as U.S. President Donald Trump announced that Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 10-day ceasefire, a move that could significantly advance regional peace efforts and ongoing negotiations involving Iran.
According to Trump, the temporary halt in fighting is set to begin at 5 p.m., following direct conversations with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun.
“Both sides want to see PEACE, and I believe that will happen, quickly!” Trump wrote in a social media post, signaling optimism that the ceasefire could evolve into a more lasting agreement.
The president also revealed plans to invite both leaders to the White House, potentially marking the first face-to-face meeting between Israeli and Lebanese heads of state in decades.
Ceasefire Follows Rising Tensions and Heavy Casualties
The agreement comes after weeks of escalating violence, particularly Israeli strikes targeting Iran-backed Hezbollah forces in southern Lebanon. The conflict has drawn international concern, with reports indicating more than 2,000 casualties, including civilians.
The fighting had become a major obstacle in broader U.S.-led efforts to de-escalate tensions with Iran, making the ceasefire a critical step toward stabilizing the region.
Trump said he directed Vice President J.D. Vance and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine to work closely with both nations to secure a “lasting PEACE.”
Mixed Reactions Across the Region
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam welcomed the ceasefire, calling it a long-sought goal following recent U.S.-brokered talks in Washington.
“I congratulate all Lebanese on this achievement,” Salam said, while also expressing solidarity with victims of the conflict and hope for displaced citizens to return home.
However, the Iran-backed group Hezbollah signaled resistance, asserting what it described as a “right to resist” if Israeli forces remain inside Lebanese territory.
Meanwhile, Netanyahu described the ceasefire as “an opportunity to make a historic peace agreement with Lebanon,” while emphasizing that Israel will maintain a 10-kilometer security buffer zone in southern Lebanon during the pause to deter further threats.
A Window for Peace
The ceasefire follows historic discussions earlier this week in Washington, where Israeli and Lebanese diplomats agreed to continue negotiations despite failing to reach an immediate agreement at the time.
Now, with a temporary pause in place, momentum appears to be building toward a broader diplomatic resolution—one that could reshape not only Israel–Lebanon relations but also the wider geopolitical landscape involving Iran.
As the region watches closely, the next 10 days may prove pivotal in determining whether this ceasefire becomes a stepping stone toward lasting peace—or merely a brief pause in a long-running conflict.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






