Pro-Life Activist Mark Houck Awarded Seven-Figure Settlement After DOJ Lawsuit

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – A prominent pro-life advocate who was arrested in a pre-dawn FBI raid during the Biden administration has been awarded a seven-figure legal settlement after suing the U.S. Department of Justice, marking a significant victory for pro-life supporters and free speech advocates.

Mark Houck, a Pennsylvania father of seven and longtime participant in the 40 Days for Life movement, reached the settlement following a multi-year legal battle stemming from his 2022 arrest outside his home. According to 40 Days for Life President Shawn Carney, Houck’s family has been awarded more than $1 million in damages.

“Mark’s family has been awarded over a million dollars for what they went through in the ridiculous raid of his home,” Carney said in a public statement.

Houck’s arrest on September 23, 2022, drew national attention after more than a dozen FBI agents reportedly arrived at his home early in the morning with weapons drawn, arresting him in front of his wife and children. He was charged under the federal Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act following an altercation outside a Philadelphia abortion clinic, where he had been praying.

Houck maintained that he acted to protect his young son from harassment by a clinic escort. In January 2023, a jury acquitted him on all charges after less than an hour of deliberation. If convicted, he faced up to 11 years in prison and significant fines.

Following his acquittal, Houck filed a lawsuit against the Justice Department in 2023, alleging malicious prosecution, false arrest, and excessive use of force. The lawsuit also claimed the ordeal had devastating personal consequences for his family, including emotional trauma and reported miscarriages suffered by his wife in the aftermath.

His legal team, including attorneys from the Thomas More Society, argued the case reflected a broader pattern of targeting pro-life activists. One of Houck’s attorneys, Steve Crampton, said the settlement represents long-overdue accountability.

“We are very pleased with a Department of Justice that seems to be genuinely interested in doing justice,” Crampton said, noting a shift under the current administration of President Donald Trump.

The settlement comes amid broader scrutiny of prior DOJ actions. A recent internal Justice Department review reportedly found evidence suggesting selective prosecution of pro-life activists under the FACE Act during the Biden administration. According to the report, prosecutors may have coordinated with abortion-rights organizations, pursued harsher penalties against pro-life defendants, and in some cases withheld evidence.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said the department is committed to restoring fairness. “This Department will not tolerate a two-tiered system of justice,” he stated. “The weaponization that happened under the Biden Administration will not happen again.”

Carney also described a noticeable change in how pro-life groups are treated, stating that frequent FBI inquiries into peaceful prayer gatherings have ceased. He called the outcome a “huge victory for free speech” and said pro-life advocates are no longer living in fear of federal intervention.

For many in the pro-life movement, the resolution of Houck’s case is being seen not only as personal vindication but as a broader affirmation of constitutional protections for peaceful protest and religious expression.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Monday, August 17, 2026

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Monday, August 17, 2026

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
Monday, August 17, 2026

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.

Dutch PM Under Pressure After Deadly Farmer Protest, Nazi Comparison Row (Worthy News In-Depth)
Dutch PM Under Pressure After Deadly Farmer Protest, Nazi Comparison Row (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten faced mounting pressure Sunday after two people died in a traffic accident linked to a farmers’ protest, while his government was drawn into a separate controversy over a prominent statesman’s comparison involving Israel and Nazi Germany.

North Korea’s Kim Deepens Russia Ties While Rejecting South Korean Overtures (Worthy News In-Depth)
North Korea’s Kim Deepens Russia Ties While Rejecting South Korean Overtures (Worthy News In-Depth)
Monday, August 17, 2026

Amid mounting military cooperation, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reaffirmed deepening ties with Russia in a message to President Vladimir Putin as Pyongyang marked the anniversary of “independence from Japan’s colonial rule,” state media reported Sunday.