
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – President Donald J. Trump is expanding trade tariffs on China after announcing similar measures for Canada and Mexico.
The White House said that starting Saturday, he will impose 25 percent tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico and 10 percent tariffs on goods from China.
It did not say whether there would be any exemptions to the measures that critics say could result in swift price increases for foreign goods for U.S. consumers.
Trump argues the measures are needed to protect American jobs and also to pressure Canada and Mexico to help tackle illegal migration.
“I can confirm that tomorrow, the February 1st deadline that President Trump put into place at a statement several weeks ago continues,” explained White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt.
She reiterated the plans for a 25 percent levy on Canada and Mexico and confirmed a 10 percent rate on China.
EU TARGETED?
Leavitt declined to elaborate on when and if tariffs will be imposed on the 27-nation European Union.
There is concern in countries such as Germany, where automakers such as Volkswagen have faced their worst crisis in recent history, partly due to rising competition from Chinese companies.
Last month, Volkswagen negotiated with the IG Metall trade union to avert plant closures in Germany and avoid immediate compulsory redundancies after massive strikes and protests.
However, the two sides agreed to cut more than 35,000 jobs across the country in a “socially responsible manner” by 2030, saving some 15 billion euros ($15.6 billion).
Trump’s tariffs would make it more difficult for German automakers to compete in the United States, another crucial market.
According to a Worthy News assessment, that would further threaten the future of Germany’s car makers, one of the most important industries in Europe’s largest economies.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.
FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.
Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.
The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.