
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
DAMASCUS/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – The United States military says it has killed 12 fighters of the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, in Syria amid concerns it will carve out a caliphate in central areas of the country.
In a statement seen by Worthy News on Tuesday, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said U.S. strikes hit ISIS leaders, operatives, and camps.
The attacks were part of attempts to “disrupt, degrade, and defeat ISIS, preventing the terrorist group from conducting external operations and to ensure that ISIS does not seek opportunities to reconstitute in central Syria,” CENTCOM added.
Monday’s strikes reportedly took place in “former regime and Russian-controlled areas,” and CENTCOM pledged that pressure continues to be maintained on ISIS.
CENTCOM added there were no civilian casualties in the latest attacks.
SECOND STRIKE
The military action was the second known U.S. strike since December 8, when Islamic rebels toppled longtime Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad.
Last week, the U.S. Air Force carried out a strike in Syria using multiple aircraft, including B-52 bombers, F-15 fighter jets, and A-10 attack jets in areas that were previously off-limits to U.S. aircraft.
The U.S. has at least 900 service members and other contractors still operating in Syria, as well as 2,500 in Iraq as part of an international coalition against Islamic extremists.
Since the fall of Damascus, ISIS cells have sought to take advantage of the chaotic vacuum in Syria by carrying out hit-and-run attacks and gaining territories in the desert.
Washington hopes its strikes will help to prevent such violence in the future.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.