U.S. Monitoring Turkey’s Military Buildup Along Syrian Border Targeting Kurds

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Senior U.S. officials told the Wall Street Journal that Turkey and its allied militias are amassing military forces along the Syrian border, preparing for a possible large-scale operation against American-backed Syrian Kurdish forces in Northern Syria.

Officials report that the buildup, which began after the Assad regime’s collapse in early December, resembles Turkish military preparations prior to its 2019 invasion of northeast Syria. The forces include Turkish commandos, artillery, and militia fighters, heavily concentrated near Kobani, a Kurdish-majority city on Syria’s northern border with Turkey.

Ilham Ahmed, a Syrian Kurdish official, urged President-elect Donald Trump on Monday to pressure Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to halt a likely military operation and avoid sending troops across the border.

Turkey’s aim is to “establish de facto control over our land before you take office, forcing you to engage with them as rulers of our territory,” Ahmed wrote to Trump in a letter seen by The Wall Street Journal. “If Turkey proceeds with its invasion, the consequences will be catastrophic.”

“From across the border, we can already see Turkish forces amassing, and our civilians live under the constant fear of imminent death and destruction,” Ahmed wrote to Trump.

Ahmed warned Trump that a Turkish invasion could displace over 200,000 Kurdish civilians in Kobani, as well as numerous Christian communities.

Though Trump won’t assume office until Jan. 20, Ahmed urged the president-elect to use his “unique approach to diplomacy” to convince Erdogan to halt any planned operation.

She referenced a prior meeting with Trump, reminding him that he had promised “the United States wouldn’t abandon the Kurds.”

“We believe you hold the power to prevent this catastrophe. President Erdogan has listened to you before, and we trust he will heed your call again,” Ahmed wrote.

“Your decisive leadership can stop this invasion and preserve the dignity and safety of those who have stood as steadfast allies in the fight for peace and security.”

The United States and Israel have long supported the idea of an independent Kurdistan, driven by strategic interests in the Middle East. Both nations regard the Kurds as a reliable and moderate ally in a region plagued by instability.

An independent Kurdistan could act as a counterbalance to adversarial powers like Iran and Turkey, aligning with U.S. and Israeli goals of combating terrorism and enhancing regional security. Additionally, the establishment of a Kurdish state would disrupt the Shiite axis, creating a barrier that fractures connections between Iran and its terrorist backed factions in Lebanon.

Israel is already seeing the impact of Syria’s collapse, which has disrupted the arms supply to Hezbollah.

Last week, Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem admitted that the Lebanese terror group had lost its arms supply route through Syria after Bashar al-Assad’s regime was toppled nearly a week ago by a sweeping rebel offensive. “Yes, Hezbollah has lost the military supply route through Syria at this stage, but this loss is a detail in the resistance’s work,” Qassem said.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.