Turkey Detains Suspects Over Church Shooting (Worthy News Investigation)

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

ISTANBUL (Worthy News) – Turkish police have detained several suspects over their alleged involvement in the New Year’s Eve shooting of a Protestant church in Istanbul, Turkish officials announced Friday.

Security footage reviewed by Worthy News appeared to confirm the December 31 attack on the Çekmeköy branch of the Kurtuluş Kilisesi Derneği (Association of Salvation Church) denomination.

At least one bullet was shot from a car and “passed through the iron shutters and glass front, lodging in the wall,” witnesses said.

One of the assailants was heard shouting, “We will not allow you to brainwash our Muslim youth! O infidels, you will be defeated and gathered together and exiled to hell.”

The pastor, who wasn’t named publicly, “requests prayer after the building was shot at on the evening of December 31,” Christians told Worthy News.

In comments shared with Worthy News, the pastor noticed that the police “were quick to respond to the incident, and the neighbors have expressed their sadness over the event.”

SUSPECTS SEEN

Footage seen by Worthy News showed special police raiding a building before accompanying one of the suspects, a man in his 30s.

Two suspects were identified as 33-year-old Serkan P. and Veysi A. 33.

Veysi A. allegedly “confessed” that they went to the church and fired a shot, but Serkan A. reportedly suggested the attack wasn’t religiously motivated but “over a debt issue.”

A third suspect was later named V.A., who was 37 or 38 during his arrest. “It was determined that the incident was carried out by [these] three people in a commercial vehicle that came to the area,” said the Istanbul Governorship in charge of the Istanbul region.

“The individuals were referred to the courthouse after their procedures at the police station,” it added in comments monitored by Worthy News.

All three individuals had criminal records ranging from fraud to “intentential wounding” of one or more persons, officials said.

KEEPING FAITH

The church said it “is disturbed but is responding with faith that God will bring good out of the attack.”

This wasn’t the first attack against the church in the Çamlık Neighborhood of Istanbul’s Çekmeköy District, Worthy News learned.

The same Kurtuluş Kilisesi Derneği church there was previously targeted on December 18, 2023, when two assailants were caught on security cameras ripping the signs off of the church, Christians told Worthy News.

“The event was reported to police, who apprehended the perpetrators. The church has also received numerous threats through social media,” added Middle East Concern (MEC), an advocacy group supporting the church.

It comes amid broader concerns among rights activists about the treatment of devoted Christians in Turkey, a mainly Muslim nation, where there have been several sometimes deadly attacks against churches and missionaries, Worthy News documented.

In comments shared with Worthy News, Christians urged prayers that the “perpetrators will repent of their actions, God will encourage and strengthen the pastor and church, and that more people will become curious about Jesus Christ through this incident’s publicity.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.