Trump Nominates Kash Patel as FBI Chief

(Worthy News) – US President-elect Donald Trump on Saturday nominated Kash Patel, a former federal prosecutor and the Chief of Staff to the Secretary of Defense during the first Trump presidency, to the position of Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Patel’s nomination will have to be confirmed by the Senate, a process which is expected to see strong opposition from the Democratic party.

A staunch and long-standing ally to Trump, Patel was an aide to former Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) when the latter was chair of the House Intelligence Committee from 2015 to 2019. As an aide to Nunes, Patel was instrumental in drafting the 2018 Nunes Memo which attacked the Democratic-led investigation into Trump’s ties with Russia and allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Patel particularly criticized the FBI’s handling of the Russia investigation, its use of surveillance tools, and the legitimacy of the investigation itself: his nomination is seen as a reflection of Trump’s lack of trust in the agency. “Trump has viewed the FBI with deep distrust dating back to the bureau’s 2016 probe into his campaign’s alleged ties to Russia, which later turned into the Mueller investigation,” Axios observed in its report.

“We will go out and find the conspirators not just in government, but in the media,” Patel said during a recent appearance on Steve Bannon’s War Room podcast. “We’re going to come after you whether it’s criminally or civilly,” Patel said.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Sunday, May 17, 2026

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Sunday, May 17, 2026

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.