
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
DAMASCUS (Worthy News) – A quarter of a billion dollars was reportedly airlifted from Syria to Russia by Bashar al-Assad long before the autocratic Syrian leader was ousted by Islamic rebels this month.
Over two years, Assad transported $250 million in cash to Moscow on 21 separate flights, according to an investigation by the Financial Times (FT) newspaper.
The FT said that it had uncovered records showing that Assad’s regime flew two tonnes of banknotes into Moscow between 2018 and 2019 to be deposited at Russian banks.
Assad also purchased several luxurious apartments in central Moscow during this period, said sources familiar with the case.
Some funds are also believed to have been used for military acquisitions.
The FT investigation showed that in 2019, one flight alone transported $10 million in $100 bills via Moscow’s Vnukovo Airport, and another flight reportedly carried €20 million in 500 euro notes that year.
BANK TRANSACTIONS DIFFICULT
International sanctions had made it apparently impossible for Syria to transfer money through traditional banking channels. As a result, all transactions had to be conducted in cash.
There was no immediate comment from the Kremlin or Assad, but the two had a long relationship.
As an ally of Syria, Russia has a significant military presence in the country, including a port for naval vessels in Tartus. Moscow is hoping to keep this port despite Assad’s ouster, as it is a key asset for Russia’s footprint in the Middle East.
The Syrian president relied on Russian President Vladimir Putin to maintain his power base during the Syrian civil war, with Russian aircraft bombing the rebel stronghold of Aleppo in 2015 and 2016.
However, Assad was eventually toppled earlier this month by rebels led by the group Hayʼat Tahrir al-Sham.
Human rights activists and people celebrating his downfall say “Assad’s regime” had been “looting Syria’s wealth” and turned to criminal activity, such as the drug trade, to finance its grip on power through military operations.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.