
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
JAKARTA (Worthy News) – Eight bodies were found so far after a fire broke out at one of the oldest shopping malls in Indonesia’s capital, Jakarta, as rescuers intensified search efforts for still missing persons, officials said Saturday.
The blaze at the Glodok Plaza started at around 9:30 p.m. local time Wednesday in a discotheque and karaoke venue but quickly spread, according to investigators and witnesses.
Many customers were reportedly in the mall during the massive blaze.
Officials said the city’s fire department deployed over 40 fire engines and 200 firefighters to combat the flames at the shopping mall.
The city’s police spokesperson, Ade Ary Syam Indradi, told reporters that firefighters and police personnel were still investigating the cause of the blaze.
Footage monitored by Worthy News showed horrific flames coming out of the top floors of the massive mall. Witnesses said they had heard “a loud explosion” when the fire began.
FIRE SPREADING
The acting chief of the Jakarta Fire and Rescue Service, Satriadi Gunawan, confirmed that “the fire grew bigger and spread to the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th floors.”
He added that the fire, which began at the venue “on the 7th floor,” may have been caused by “an electrical short circuit or gas cylinder,” but added that an investigation is still underway.
This was the second massive blaze at the shopping mall since April 9, 1983, when a fire engulfed the Golden Dragon restaurant. Worthy News learned that no deaths were reported at the time.
Indonesian television reported Saturday that the death toll from the latest blaze in West Jakarta rose to eight, but the toll was expected to increase.
Malls in Indonesia are often monitored by security personnel following Islamic terror attacks targeting areas frequented by Western tourists, including shopping centers as well as churches in the world’s largest Muslim nation.
The blaze at Glodok Plaza comes as Indonesia is also reeling from numerous volcano eruptions in recent days, although no deaths were reported.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.
FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.
Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.
The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.