
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
ABUJA (Worthy News) – Residents in northeastern Nigeria were mourning Monday after at least eight bus passengers were killed over the weekend by a landmine that authorities said was likely placed there by “terrorist group Boko Haram.”
The bus was traveling on the road in Borno State, where many mines have been planted in the past, likely by the “terrorist group Boko Haram,” security sources said.
Seven injured people were rushed to the intensive care unit of a hospital in the state capital, Maiduguri, following the tragedy at the Maiduguri-Damboa Road, explained Governor Babagana Zulum.
Fourteen people sustained minor injuries in the incident, the governor added.
The road where the mine exploded cuts through the notorious Sambisa Forest, which has long been a hotspot for Boko Haram activity, Nigerians said. The area was previously closed to civilian traffic for several years due to repeated insurgent attacks, Worthy News learned.
Landmines are regularly discovered in the northeastern region, where Boko Haram remains active, adding to dangers for Christian farmers and other believers, several sources confirmed.
SOLDIERS KILLED
Last year, at least seven soldiers were killed when a landmine exploded on a highway in the same area, according to officials.
Seven other travelers were taken to the intensive care unit of a hospital in the capital, Maiduguri, while 14 people sustained minor injuries in the incident, according to Governor Babagana Zulum.
Usman Idi, a traveler from Damboa town in Borno, saw “a heavy movement” of military personnel towards the incident scene shortly after the blast.
“Yes, we saw the vehicle with the remains of the commercial bus that rammed into landmines buried by Boko Haram at Gidan Kaji, some 30 kilometers (19 miles) away from Damboa town,” Idi added in published remarks.
While visiting survivors in the hospital, Zulum said the government would pay the bills of those injured. The governor urged security agencies “to intensify” efforts in combating insurgency and securing significant roads across the state.
Last year, at least seven soldiers were killed after a mine exploded on a highway in Borno State.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The United States and Hungary have concluded 17 agreements covering nuclear energy, oil, and natural gas cooperation as Budapest faces pressure to reduce its reliance on cheap Russian energy.
Christian rights campaigners have welcomed Friday’s landmark decision by Pakistan’s Punjab province to criminalize child marriage by setting 18 as the minimum legal age for marriage. However, the killing of a Pakistani Christian shopkeeper in the same province cast a shadow over the celebrations.
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Sunday that countries participating in his Gaza “Board of Peace” have pledged more than $5 billion toward humanitarian relief and reconstruction efforts in the Gaza Strip, along with committing thousands of personnel to support new security arrangements in the enclave.
An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an ongoing prosecution of groups the Trump administration has designated as foreign terrorist organizations.
Two pastors in eastern Uganda who were reportedly attacked by a group of Muslim extremists have been discharged from a hospital and are continuing to recover at home, Worthy News learned Sunday.
Western leaders sought to project unity at the 2026 Munich Security Conference despite tensions over U.S. interest in acquiring Greenland, differences on ending the war in Ukraine, and questions surrounding the future of transatlantic cooperation.
The Pentagon is deploying the Navy’s largest and most advanced aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, to the Middle East as the United States intensifies preparations for potential military action against Iran.