
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Missionaries and local Christians in Mozambique are being targeted by Islamic terror groups amid ongoing political protests and upheaval over October’s highly disputed general election results, Mission Network News (MNN) reports.
Among many Christian workers facing dangerous conditions in Mozambique, is Johan Grobler of MegaVoice, a US ministry that distributes solar audio Bibles to the Global church. In an interview with MMN last month, Grobler said Islamic terrorists in northern Mozambique have taken advantage of the political unrest to attack Christians and destroy their homes and businesses.
“And especially [at Christmas time] when Christians celebrate: unfortunately, often these insurgents take an opportunity to cause fear and harm to Christians,” Grobler said. “It’s really unsafe during the day when most of the protests happen. Unfortunately, the police are very active in responding and shooting. Some people have lost their lives. Buildings have been set alight, and business has come to a standstill. Border crossings have been closed,” Grobler added.
Asking for prayer for local Christians, Grobler said: “Pray that they would be steadfast and that the Lord would protect them. For them it’s also difficult, and often they don’t have the means to protect themselves.”
Grobler further requested prayer for the release of a shipment of several thousand audio Bibles that has been held up amid the unrest. “So that’s a prayer point, and if it comes through, it will encourage many people,” Grobler said.
Battling the rise of Islamist extremism in the north of the country, Mozambique ranks 37 on the Open Doors World Watch List 2025 of the top 50 countries where Christians are persecuted.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.
FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.
Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.
The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.