
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Israel escalated its military campaign in Gaza on Sunday, targeting Rafah and ordering civilians to evacuate Tel Sultan. This marks the first reoccupation of a major area in Gaza since fighting resumed on March 18, as well as announcing a key Hamas terrorist was eliminated on a targeted airstrike.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it killed Ismail Barhoum, a senior Hamas political bureau member and head of its finances, in a strike on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. Hamas confirmed his death, stating he was receiving treatment at the hospital after being injured in a previous strike.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz praised Barhoum’s killing, calling him “the new Hamas prime minister in Gaza, who replaced Issam Da’alis, the previous prime minister who was eliminated a few days ago.”
The IDF said the strike followed “an extensive intelligence-gathering process” and used a “precision munition” to limit civilian harm. Footage showed the hospital largely intact, with fire visible in one stairwell section.
After Barhoum’s killing, Katz said the offensive was “expanding,” and vowed Israel would keep striking until all 59 hostages held in Gaza are freed.
The IDF said Sunday that thousands of troops are set to join the renewed ground offensive in Gaza, significantly expanding what had so far been a limited operation against Hamas.
IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir told Israel Channel 12 that the IDF is pushing to expand the offensive, telling political officials, “Hamas is stalling for time, it’s a strategy, not a tactic.” He added, “The IDF’s operation hurts [Hamas] and causes some movement, but it doesn’t lead it to release the hostages. Therefore, there is no choice, the pressure must be increased.”
The IDF began reoccupying a second major area within one of Gaza’s four main sectors. Previously, it had only entered one area per sector—north, central, Khan Younis, and Rafah—applying pressure on Hamas.
On Saturday night, Israel’s security cabinet approved Katz’s proposal to create a Defense Ministry office to facilitate the “voluntary” departure of Palestinians from Gaza.
Since early March, 1,000 Gazans have left the enclave, with another 600 expected to depart this week.
Currently, only Gazans needing medical care, those with dual citizenship, and residents with destination visas are permitted to leave the Strip.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Reverend Jesse Jackson, the influential civil rights campaigner and former presidential hopeful described by his family as “a servant leader,” has died at age 84.
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.