Israel, Hezbollah In Deadliest Clashes Since Announcing Truce

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon blamed each other for the deadliest clashes since their ceasefire came into effect last week, adding to global fears that the region will remain embroiled in armed conflicts.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accused Hezbollah of provoking the Israeli military, which announced it “struck Hezbollah terrorists, dozens of launchers, and terrorist infrastructure throughout Lebanon.”

Lebanon’s health ministry said at least nine people had been killed in Israeli strikes on the two southern towns of Haris and Talousa.

Arab sources said at least two people were killed by Israel, including a State Security officer, in separate attacks in the Nabatieh district of south Lebanon.

Israel confirmed it carried out the series of airstrikes in response to Hezbollah rocket fire near watchtowers in the Israeli-controlled Shebaa farms.

Hezbollah missiles reportedly landed in an open area and caused no injuries. However, Hezbollah stressed in a statement that the attack on the watchtowers was an “initial warning defensive response” against “repeated violations” by Israel of the ceasefire agreement.

The resumption of tit-for-tat strikes in south Lebanon and north Israel has caused concern that fully-fledged fighting between Hezbollah and Israel could resume just five days after their ceasefire deal was announced.

France, which was to supervise the implementation of the truce, reportedly accused Israel “of violating the ceasefire agreement 52 times.” Israel denied wrongdoing, saying it responded to provocations.

Yet, fighting has taken a heavy toll in Lebanon, with almost 4,000 people killed and more than 1 million people displaced in Israeli strikes provoked by Hezbollah, local authorities say.

The latest clashes came as people in south Lebanon began returning to their homes this week to start repairs in a region that suffered an estimated $8.5 billion in damages.

Witnesses said that following Hezbollah’s attacks, residents began fleeing Dahiyeh, the southern suburbs of Beirut, where Hezbollah enjoys strong support as Netanyahu vowed to retaliate.

“We are tired; we can’t handle any more of this. People barely just got back to their homes,” said Ali, a resident of Beirut from Tyre, south Lebanon.

Similar sentiments were expressed in northern Israel, where at least 60,000 people were forced from their homes after relentless Hezbollah strikes.

And with explosions reported around Beirut and beyond, residents on both sides faced another turbulent night.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.