Israel Expands Gaza Offensive, Mobilizes Reservists, and Revamps Aid Plan

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Israel’s security cabinet has unanimously approved a major expansion of the military offensive in Gaza and a controversial overhaul of the humanitarian aid distribution system, Israeli officials confirmed Sunday.

While the decision sets the stage for a deepened campaign against Hamas, implementation is expected to be delayed until after U.S. President Donald Trump visits the region next week, during which diplomatic efforts to broker a ceasefire and hostage deal will continue.

On Sunday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) began issuing call-up orders for tens of thousands of reservists to support the planned expansion. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu approved the mobilization late last week, and it received formal backing from the security cabinet.

“We are increasing the pressure with the goal of returning our people and defeating Hamas,” said IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir in a statement to troops. The military campaign, which resumed on March 18, is expected to proceed in stages, with Israeli forces already in control of roughly 40% of Gaza.

Parallel to its military strategy, the cabinet also approved a new aid delivery mechanism designed to prevent Hamas from diverting supplies.

The plan, first reported by The Times of Israel, replaces bulk warehousing with direct distribution to individual families by international organizations and private contractors. Israeli troops will not handle the aid directly but will provide security around distribution zones.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir cast the lone vote against the aid plan, which Israeli officials say aims to reduce the militant group’s control over humanitarian goods. “The goal is to break Hamas’s hold, even over food,” one Israeli official said.

The United Nations and humanitarian groups have strongly condemned the plan. In a formal statement, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that Israel’s new strategy “contravenes fundamental humanitarian principles” and “appears designed to reinforce control over life-sustaining items as a pressure tactic.”

“The design of the plan will mean large parts of Gaza, including the less mobile and most vulnerable people, will continue to go without supplies,” OCHA said. The UN and all humanitarian entities under the Humanitarian Country Team have unanimously refused to participate in the new aid scheme, arguing it risks forcing civilians into militarized zones and endangering aid workers.

Israel halted aid deliveries on March 2, accusing Hamas of diverting supplies during a six-week ceasefire. Officials said that, at the time, 650 aid trucks per day had entered Gaza, sufficient to meet the population’s basic needs—until Hamas allegedly interfered.

Meanwhile, the humanitarian crisis continues to escalate, with over 52,500 Palestinians reported killed since Israel began its response to Hamas’s October 7 attack that left 1,200 Israelis dead and 251 kidnapped. Of the 59 hostages still believed to be in Gaza, fewer than half are thought to be alive.

Israeli officials say the expanded mobilization and new aid plan aim to balance military goals with humanitarian needs.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Trump Finalizes U.S.–Taiwan Trade Deal, Secures 15% Tariff and Major Energy, Tech Commitments
Trump Finalizes U.S.–Taiwan Trade Deal, Secures 15% Tariff and Major Energy, Tech Commitments
Thursday, February 12, 2026

The Trump administration has finalized a sweeping reciprocal trade agreement with Taiwan, confirming a 15 percent U.S. tariff rate on Taiwanese imports while securing broad new market access and purchase commitments for American goods.

Dems Cheer End To Minnesota Immigration Operation; GOP Calls It Success
Dems Cheer End To Minnesota Immigration Operation; GOP Calls It Success
Thursday, February 12, 2026

Democrats are applauding White House border czar Tom Homan’s Thursday announcement that immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota will end next week.

Democrats Tank DHS Bill Again, Likely Triggering Partial Govt Shutdown
Democrats Tank DHS Bill Again, Likely Triggering Partial Govt Shutdown
Thursday, February 12, 2026

Democrats in the U.S. Senate tanked the Homeland Security full-year funding bill in a last-ditch vote Thursday, all but guaranteeing a partial government shutdown starting Saturday.

Canada’s Remote Town Mourns After Deadly School Shooting Leaves Nine Dead
Canada’s Remote Town Mourns After Deadly School Shooting Leaves Nine Dead
Thursday, February 12, 2026

Mourners in a remote Canadian town grappled Thursday with the aftermath of one of the country’s deadliest school shootings in decades, as families, survivors and leaders reacted to the tragedy that left eight victims — most of them children — dead, along with the 18-year-old suspect.

Teen Suspect Held After Shooting At School In Southern Thailand
Teen Suspect Held After Shooting At School In Southern Thailand
Thursday, February 12, 2026

A gunman who opened fire at a school in southern Thailand’s Hat Yai city on Wednesday wounded a teacher and a student before being detained, authorities said, in a rare attack that sent students and staff into panic.

House Republicans Pass SAVE America Act, Sending Voter ID Bill to Senate
House Republicans Pass SAVE America Act, Sending Voter ID Bill to Senate
Thursday, February 12, 2026

The Republican-led House of Representatives has passed the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, advancing legislation that would require proof of citizenship to register to vote and photo identification at the polls. The bill now heads to the Senate, where its future remains uncertain amid strong Democratic opposition.

Israel Finalizes Advanced David’s Sling Air Defense Tests Preparations for Possible U.S. Strike on Iran
Israel Finalizes Advanced David’s Sling Air Defense Tests Preparations for Possible U.S. Strike on Iran
Thursday, February 12, 2026

Israel’s Ministry of Defense announced on Wednesday that its advanced David’s Sling air and missile defense system has completed a series of complex modernized tests, a development officials say bolsters the country’s defensive posture as tensions with Iran escalate and the United States prepares military options that could include direct strikes.