
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Amid the West’s ongoing concerns about Tehran’s nuclear program and suspected intentions to build an atomic bomb, Iran on Friday announced it successfully launched its heaviest-ever payload into space using a domestically manufactured rocket, DW reports. A payload is the cargo or mission equipment that is carried into space on a rocket.
Sent from the Imam Khomeini Spaceport in Semnan province using the Simorgh two-stage, liquid-fueled satellite carrier, the payload launched by Iran on December 6 comprised a telecommunications satellite and a space tug and weighed about 300 kilograms (660 pounds), DW reports.
The Simorgh was developed by Iran’s Ministry of Defense and saw several failed launches before last week’s attempt. The reported success of Friday’s launch has not been independently verified, DW said.
However, DW noted in its report: “Iran’s space program has seen significant developments recently. The country’s space agency has conducted multiple successful satellite launches this year. The launches reflect Tehran’s advancing capabilities in aerospace technology.”
While Iran says both its nuclear and space programs are being advanced for civilian purposes, the US, Israel, and European states contend that technology used for satellite development and launches may be used to build missiles that deliver nuclear warheads.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.