
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Hungary’s rightwing government warned Thursday that it will crack down on protests in Budapest if courts fail to do so amid growing public anger over perceived authoritarian policies and corruption.
“The legislative branch is ready to react if court decisions interpret the regulation of the right to assembly contrary to previous legal practice, thereby contributing to hobbling the capital’s traffic,” said Gergely Gulyas, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office.
Gulyas added that the interior minister briefed the cabinet Wednesday on recent rallies in Budapest that blocked bridges.
“A few hundred demonstrators closed four bridges in the city on one day,” he said, though reporters witnessed thousands participating in the protests.
“Exercising the right to assembly may not curb others’ rights and freedom. We saw a minority of a few hundred people laming the transport of hundreds of thousands,” Gulyas told media Thursday.
He spoke after thousands of people protested in Budapest on Tuesday for the second time within a week against a new law that aims to ban the annual Pride march in support of the LGBTQ+ community. The legislation also allows facial recognition software to identify organizers and attendees.
Hungary’s parliament passed the law proposed by the ruling Fidesz party lawmakers last week to ban the Pride march because “it could be harmful to children
FACING CHALLENGE
Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, who faces an unprecedented challenge from the new rising opposition Tisza party ahead of the 2026 elections, has criticized the LGBTQ+ community.
In recent weeks, as part of his campaign, he has also pledged to crack down on foreign funding for independent media and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Hungary.
During Tuesday’s protest, participants said their actions “were not only about Pride” but also related to alleged government attempts to limit freedom of expression.
Additionally, German European legislator Daniel Freund accused the government of “having appropriated 14 billion euros ($15.1 billion) in European Union funds.”
A recent document seen by Worthy News listed dozens of properties ranging from golf resorts to hotels owned by Orbán family members and friends.
Like last week’s protests witnessed by Worthy News, there were tensions with police with one prominent activist jumping into the River Danube. He nearly drowned before being rescued and rushed to hospital.
Despite government policies, organizers of the annual Pride events say the march will go ahead in June, and Budapest’s liberal Mayor, Gergely Karácsony, expressed his support for the event.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.
The United States is preparing to deploy roughly 200 American troops to Nigeria in the coming weeks to assist in counterterrorism efforts, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.