‘Hundreds Killed In Israel Strikes On Gaza’

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

GAZA CITY/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – The Hamas-controlled health ministry in Gaza said Tuesday that Israeli strikes across the territory have killed at least 200 people and that the death toll continues to rise.

It was challenging to verify the death toll independently, and the authorities did not differentiate between combatants and civilians. Strikes were reported in multiple locations, including northern Gaza, Gaza City, and the Deir al-Balah, Khan Younis, and Rafah in central and southern Gaza Strip.

In Washington, the White House confirmed it had been briefed about the air strikes. Earlier this month, U.S. President Donald J. Trump again threatened Hamas will have “hell to pay” if it doesn’t release “all” of its remaining hostages — including an American-Israeli — adding this would be his “last warning” and that “it will be OVER” for Hamas if it does not comply.

“RELEASE THE HOSTAGES NOW, OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY LATER!” Trump wrote on his social media platform, the latest in several similar threats.

On Tuesday, an Israeli official said the extensive operation launched across the Gaza Strip was targeting Hamas leadership and infrastructure and would last “as long as necessary.”

The Israeli military “has launched a series of preemptive strikes targeting mid-ranking military commanders, leadership officials and terrorist infrastructure belonging to the Hamas terrorist organization,” the official, who declined to be named, said, adding that the operation “will continue as long as necessary, and will expand beyond air strikes.”

Hamas-backed officials claimed many children were among the dead, showing distressing images of the bodies of children in hospital morgues. It was unclear when this footage had been recorded.

WAR OBJECTIVES

As the strikes continued, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the attacks had “the goal of achieving the war objectives as determined by the political leadership, including the release of all our hostages – both the living and the fallen.”

“This follows Hamas’s repeated refusal to release our hostages and its rejection of all the proposals it received from U.S. president’s envoy, Steve Witkoff, and from the mediators,” the statement added.

It also came after U.S. President Trump, who met several released hostages, expressed his outrage about the suffering they endured and compared some of the images with those being released from Nazi death camps during the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah.

The first phase of the ceasefire agreement ended two weeks ago, but Israel refused to implement the scheduled second phase after Hamas publicly displayed hostages or their human remains.

At one point, Hamas said last month, a fourth body was that of a mother, Shiri Bibas, who Hamas killed along with her two young children. But Israel said forensic testing showed it was not her.

Netanyahu alleged Hamas “put the body of a Gazan woman in a coffin” instead of the body of Shiri Bibas, prompting outrage in Israel and at the White House.

Amid the outrage, Israel refused to implement the second phase of the ceasefire, which was supposed to end with its withdrawal from Gaza, the freedom of all remaining hostages held by Hamas, and a definitive end to the armed conflict.

AID TROUBLES

Observers say Israel also blocked aid to Gaza over the past two weeks, “in violation of the ceasefire deal,” in a bid to force Hamas to accept its demands.

The move has been condemned by countries such as Britain, France, and Germany, but U.S. President Trump has made clear he supports Israel’s attempts to get its hostages released.

The latest strikes are Israel’s heaviest assault on the territory since a ceasefire took effect in January.

“Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz have instructed the [Israel Defense Forces] (IDF) to take strong action against the Hamas terrorist organization in the Gaza Strip,” Netanyahu’s office stressed.

“The IDF is, at this time, attacking targets of the Hamas terrorist organization throughout the Gaza Strip in order to achieve the objectives of the war as they have been determined by the political echelon, including the release of all of our hostages, the living and the deceased.”

There was also a warning to Hamas. “Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength. The operational plan was presented by the IDF over the weekend and approved by the political leadership.”

Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations announced that the U.N. Security Council “will convene tomorrow to discuss the situation in Gaza. It is time for the countries of the world to take seriously our unwavering commitment to bring back all our hostages home and defeat the enemy,” he said, in a post on social media platform X.

FREEING HOSTAGES

“Nothing will stop us from fighting to free our hostages who have been held in brutal Hamas captivity for 527 days. We will show no mercy against our enemies while our hostages languish in Hamas terror tunnels.”

However, aid workers, including Sally Thomas, humanitarian manager at the Catholic charity Caritas Australia, warned that the strikes would impact aid distribution.

“In the first month of the ceasefire, around 56,000 metric tons of food entered Gaza, more than double the amount in the month prior. Alongside this, humanitarians have been working to take care of an estimated 350,000 chronically ill people in Gaza, where there are just 108 [intensive care unit] beds remaining and a lack of necessities such as oxygen and vital medical equipment,” she said.

“Our global conscience, and of course the vulnerable people in Gaza, simply cannot afford for this work to stop,” she said, “We must not tolerate further suffering.”

Israel says it does not target civilians but accuses Hamas of using residents as human shields. It also points out that the war was sparked on October 7, 2023, when Hamas entered Israel, killing some 1,200 people, including babies and women they had raped, while kidnapping hundreds of people.

The Israeli government described it as the worst atrocities against Jews since the Holocaust.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Reverend Jesse Jackson Dies At 84 After Decades Of Civil Rights Activism (Worthy News In-Depth)
Reverend Jesse Jackson Dies At 84 After Decades Of Civil Rights Activism (Worthy News In-Depth)
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Reverend Jesse Jackson, the influential civil rights campaigner and former presidential hopeful described by his family as “a servant leader,” has died at age 84.

Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Monday, February 16, 2026

Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”

U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
Monday, February 16, 2026

The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.

Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Monday, February 16, 2026

President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.

Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Monday, February 16, 2026

A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.

U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.

Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Monday, February 16, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.