
By Thérèse Boudreaux | The Center Square
(Worthy News) – The House voted Tuesday evening to advance a Continuing Resolution that, if passed by the Senate, will fund core government services for the rest of the fiscal year and avoid a government shutdown.
The 217-213 vote saw all Republicans vote in favor except Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., and all Democrats opposed except Rep. Jared Golden, D-Maine. The White House endorsed the CR earlier in the day.
With federal programs set to run out of money on March 14 midnight, the long-term stopgap maintains current budgets for most federal programs until Sept. 30.
The CR does make some funding adjustments, including slashing $13 billion in non-defense spending, boosting defense spending by $6 billion, and adding $500 million to WIC nutrition program spending from fiscal year 2024 funding levels.
It also authorizes billions of dollars for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement deportation efforts, veterans’ health care, and air traffic control safety priorities. Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid spending would remain unchanged.
“The choice before us was simple: you either support keeping the government open and working for the American people – or you want a reckless government shutdown,” House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole, R-Okla., said after the vote. “House Republicans acted to meet the nation’s fiscal deadline.”
The CR now moves on to the Senate, where at least seven Democratic votes are necessary for the measure to pass.
If the resolution passes the Senate, it will mark the third time Congress punted the deadline to pass the annual 12 comprehensive appropriations bills that provide money for federal agencies to spend on programs each year.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.