
By Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief
JERUSALEM/BERLIN/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Germany on Friday halted military exports to Israel “that could be used in Gaza,” amid one of the worst tensions between the German and Israeli governments since the establishment of the Jewish nation following World War II.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the measure was in response to Israel’s intensified military campaign in the Gaza Strip after Israel’s security cabinet approved a plan to take control of Gaza City.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office confirmed the decision was part of a five-point plan “for defeating Hamas” and “concluding the war,” which was approved by a majority vote.
Netanyahu had previously stated that Israel intended to take over the entire Gaza Strip, but the current plan focuses only on Gaza City.
The United Nations warned that a complete military takeover would risk “catastrophic consequences” for Palestinian civilians and Israeli hostages still held in Gaza. Britain’s ambassador to Israel also described the move as “a huge mistake.”
GERMANY’S TOP PRIORITIES
Chancellor Merz acknowledged Israel’s right to disarm Hamas and seek the release of hostages, but warned that the cabinet’s decision on tougher military action “makes it increasingly difficult to see how these goals can be achieved.”
“Under these circumstances, the German government will not approve any exports of military equipment that could be used in the Gaza Strip until further notice,” Merz added in a statement.
He emphasized that the release of the hostages and negotiations for a ceasefire “are Germany’s top priorities,” and expressed “deep concern over the suffering” of civilians in the Gaza Strip.
Germany’s parliament earlier confirmed that between October 7, 2023, and May 13, 2025, export licenses for military equipment to Israel worth 485 million euros ($564 million) had been granted.
Israel has denied wrongdoing, saying its military campaign was a response to the Hamas massacre of some 1,200 people and the abduction of about 251 others on October 7, 2023.
The Israeli government also accused the United Nations of refusing to distribute hundreds of truckloads of humanitarian aid waiting at the border because the U.N. disagreed with Israeli demands that aid not be delivered to Hamas.
Critics have also questioned why Egypt continues to keep its border with Gaza closed.
MISDROPS CLAIMED
The U.N. and Hamas-controlled authorities in Gaza have accused Israel of causing “starvation” in the territory through its military blockade and offensive operations.
Israel denies targeting civilians and has approved foreign humanitarian airdrops by countries including Belgium, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, the Netherlands, Spain, and the United Arab Emirates.
Israel’s military has also begun its own airdrop operations, particularly targeting northern Gaza. However, critics claim there have been misdrops resulting in injuries and deaths due to falling pallets.
Hamas and affiliated humanitarian groups have called the Israeli airdrops “symbolic” and poorly coordinated.
Supporters of the policy argue that it demonstrates Israel is not committing genocide, but is instead targeting Hamas fighters who use civilians as “human shields.”
Gaza’s Hamas-run Health Ministry claims more than 60,000 Palestinians have been killed since Israel launched its offensive. However, the ministry does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.
Israel disputes the figures and says about half of those killed are Hamas fighters.
(With additional reporting from Israel.)
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Christians in Northern Ireland, once known for violence and religious divisions, are planning a new March for Jesus after thousands attended the event over the weekend.
The death toll from Russian rocket and drone strikes on the Ukrainian capital Kyiv continues to rise. Authorities said Friday that at least 23 people, including children, were killed overnight in the deadliest assault on the city in months.
Chinese authorities have charged a prominent house church leader in the coastal city of Wenzhou with “illegal business operations” over distributing sermon recordings, rights activists said Friday.
Christians in Northern Ireland, once known for violence and religious divisions, are planning a new March for Jesus after thousands attended the event over the weekend.
Christians on Wednesday urged prayers for the “swift and safe release” of three church members in northeastern Vietnam, including a Catholic priest, after security forces reportedly detained them during a home worship service.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Thursday condemned Hungary’s decision to ban a senior Ukrainian officer who led strikes on Russia’s Druzhba oil pipeline, calling it an outrageous attempt to shift blame for the war onto Ukraine.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced Wednesday that the Pentagon has opened a sweeping investigation into Microsoft following revelations that Chinese Communist Party (CCP)-linked engineers worked on U.S. military cloud contracts under a controversial program dating back to the Obama-Biden administration.