French President Macron Refuses To Resign

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

PARIS (Worthy News) – Faced with the most significant political turmoil in years, French President Emmanuel Macron pledged Thursday he would name a new prime minister within “the coming days” but dismissed calls for his resignation.

Macron made the announcement in a dramatic 10-minute address to his nation after Prime Minister Michel Barnier,73, resigned following a no-confidence vote in parliament sparked by a budget row.

Macron rejected opposition pressure to stand down and vowed to stay in his post “fully, until the end of the mandate” in 2027.

He thanked Barnier for his dedication, although he was the shortest-serving prime minister since the 1958 founding of the Fifth Republic, France’s republican system of government.

Macron accused the French far right and hard left of collaborating in an “anti-republican front” to bring down the government.

French legislators voted overwhelmingly to remove Barnier on Wednesday, just three months after Macron appointed the conservative 73-year-old.

The vote was the first time a French government had been voted down by parliament in more than 60 years, a move Macron labeled “unprecedented.”

‘LITTLE REMINDER’

In response, Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right National Rally (RN), wrote on social media: “A little reminder to President Macron, who is supposed to be the guarantor of the Constitution: censure is not anti-republican, it is provided for in the Constitution of our Fifth Republic.”

The no-conference vote came after he used a constitutional mechanism called Article 49.3 to push through a social security budget bill without a vote, though it opened the door to a no-confidence motion.

Bernier has said the move was needed to realize 60 billion euros ($63.07 billion) in savings to shrink a gaping deficit after a

last-minute concession was insufficient to win support from Le Pen’s influential far-right RN for his budget plans.

The development risked further unsettling investors, who have already pushed up France’s borrowing costs beyond those of countries like Spain and Greece.

Last week, France narrowly escaped a debt downgrade by S&P, with the rating agency saying that “despite ongoing political uncertainty, we expect France to comply — with a delay — with the EU fiscal framework and to gradually consolidate public finances.”

Macron said the new government’s priority will be approving a budget, with a special law submitted to parliament before mid-December to keep the state afloat.

Outgoing ministers warned that the stopgap emergency law could have unintended consequences, including increasing income tax for millions of households.

SUCCESSORS NAMED

Bernard Cazeneuve, 61, a former prime minister and interior minister, has been named among possible successors of Barnier.

Others include Sébastien Lecornu, 38, the youngest defense minister since the French Revolution, and François Bayrou, 73, the former high commissioner for government planning and veteran centrist.

Jean Castex, 59, a former prime minister and current head of the RATP, the state-owned operator of the Paris metro, is also running for the top job.

While Macron could also rename Barnier, the outgoing leader suggested he did not expect that scenario.

Analysts say any new prime minister will face the same political gridlock that brought down Barnier, with far-right and hard-left parties refusing to accept the current budget plans.

Macron did not indicate if the new government should attempt a sharp fiscal adjustment to bring the deficit down to 5 percent of economic output next year from 6.1 percent in 2024.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.