
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – As Syrians look toward an uncertain future following the ousting of dictator Bashar al-Assad by Islamic rebels last month, France announced Tuesday that its military carried out targeted airstrikes against Islamic State (Daesh) positions in Syria on Sunday, i24News reports.
The French strike were similar to a strike the US carried out against ISIS in Syria on December 23, Reuters notes. Two ISIS operatives were killed and one wounded in that attack, the US said.
France has carried out strikes on ISIS targets in Syria since 2015, after Islamic State unleashed a series of deadly terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13 that year. The attacks left 130 people dead and led to France’s decision to escalate its military activity against the terror group.
In a statement on the social media platform X on Tuesday, French Armed Forces Minister Sébastien Lecornu said Sunday’s strikes were part of France’s ongoing commitment to defeat ISIS.
“Our armies continue their commitment against Daesh,” Lecornu said.
France also supports Iraqi troops in their fight against ISIS. Through its Operation Chammal, Frances mobilizes around 600 troops, 10 Rafale jets, one frigate, one AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) aircraft, as well as refueling and patrol planes, i24News notes.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.