Former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon Released From Prison

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – Former U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s ally and chief strategist Steve Bannon was released from a Connecticut federal prison early Tuesday after serving four months in jail for failing to comply with a subpoena by a Congressional committee investigating January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Bannon’s release comes just one week before the November 5 presidential election, with polls suggesting a slight lead for Trump.

He was met by his daughter Maureen early Tuesday morning as he left the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut, in the pre-dawn hours.

Bannon, 70, then headed to Manhattan, where he resumed his WarRoom podcast and online show and later held an afternoon news conference.

“I’m finally out of being a political prisoner,” Bannon told reporters, adding that prominent Democrats hoped to break him. “I think you can see today I’m far from broken. I’ve been empowered by my four months in Danbury federal prison.”

Bannon was convicted in 2022 on two counts of contempt of Congress for refusing to comply with a subpoena from the House Select Committee that investigated the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

On that day, rioters claiming to be supporters of then–U.S. President Trump sought to keep him in power by occupying the Capitol after what they viewed as fraudulent elections.

PREVENTING CONGRESS

They attempted to prevent a joint session of Congress from counting the Electoral College votes to formalize President-elect Joe Biden’s declared victory.

Sources familiar with the matter said that while in prison, Bannon, who publicly questioned the election outcome, digitally kept in touch with a small group of loyalists, including guest hosts of his WarRoom podcast.

They said he would, in part, discuss the news and politics of the day, including topics he thought about for the show.

He reported to prison on July 1 after the Supreme Court rejected his bid to delay his sentence while he appealed his conviction.

A federal appeals court panel upheld Bannon’s convictions in May, but Bannon now asks the full appeals court to hear his case.

His legal team says the congressional subpoena was invalid because Trump had asserted “executive privilege.”

Prosecutors, though, say Bannon had left the White House years before, and Trump had never invoked executive privilege before the committee.

MORE CHARGES

Bannon faces additional criminal charges in New York state court, alleging he duped donors who gave money to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bannon has pleaded not guilty to money laundering, conspiracy, fraud, and other charges. A trial in that case is scheduled to begin in December.

He blames Democrats and their agenda for the ongoing prosecutions.

He said former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, “sent” him to prison “to silence” his voice.

His critics say an independent jury convicted him, and a judge sentenced Bannon.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Sunday, May 17, 2026

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Sunday, May 17, 2026

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.