
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
KUALA LUMPUR/JAKARTA (Worthy News) – Malaysia and Indonesia faced more suffering Friday, with Malaysia’s Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim barring his cabinet members from going on leave after the displacement of over 90,000 people in a growing flood disaster that authorities fear could be the country’s worst in a decade.
Across its maritime border in flood-stricken Indonesia, rescuers recovered two more bodies from a tourist bus hit by a landslide triggered by torrential rains on Indonesia’s Sumatra island, bringing the death toll to nine, officials said.
At least 20 people have died in other landslides and floods in the region this week.
Rescuers found the bodies from the bus, which was covered by trees, mud, and rocks from the landslide on the road from Medan city to Berastagi in North Sumatra province, officials said.
The road is the main route from the regional capital, Medan, to other districts in the area.
The bus was among vehicles cut off by previous landslides along the road since Wednesday morning.
More than 10 people were also injured and were taken to a hospital in Medan city, where Christians had urged for prayers.
‘CONTINUE DUTIES’
Back in Malaysia, “All ministers have been asked to continue their duties and go down to the ground now,” Anwar told reporters.
Three people have died, and 94,778 people have been evacuated to 527 temporary shelters in nine states, with Kelantan and neighboring Terengganu the worst hit, according to the National Disaster Command Centre.
It did not have more details on the deaths.
Floods have been hampering the east coast of peninsular Malaysia during the monsoon period between October and March. Still, officials said this week’s torrential rain led to mass evacuations, mainly in the northeastern state of Kelantan, which borders Thailand.
Indonesia, too, was hard-hit with Fithriyani Tarigan, a Christian, telling Worthy News:
“At least nine people died in my village of Semangat Gunung, which is a one-hour drive from the city of Medan.”
She said it was crucial to “Please pray for my country.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.
Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.
Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.
Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.
Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.