
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent reporting from Amsterdam
PARAMARIBO/AMSTERDAM (Worthy News) – Suriname’s ex-president Desi Bouterse, who was on the run after being convicted for political murders, has died, several Surinamese sources say. He was 79.
Bouterse fled the capital Paramaribo on December 20 last year after being convicted for his leading role in the “December Murders” of December 8, 1982, in which 15 opponents were killed.
The murders in Suriname, a former Dutch colony, shocked the South American country as well as the Netherlands, home to hundreds of thousands of Surinamese.
In January this year, he was supposed to report to prison to begin serving his twenty-year sentence, but by then, he had disappeared. Last Sunday, police raided his Paramaribo apartment but said “he was not found” there.
A pastor from Suriname who knows the situation well told Worthy News at the time he had doubts Bouterse would be detained. “Suriname is a small community where people know each other. I have doubts that he will serve time in jail.”
The pastor’s predictions turned out to be correct: After nearly a year in hiding, Bouterse’s human remains were transported to Paramaribo, local media reported.
Crowds gathered at his residence in Paramaribo-North, including reporters and members of his National Democratic Party (NDP).
ADVENTUROUS LIFE
His death came after an adventurous life that included his actions in 1980 when Bouterse led a military coup in Suriname.
The military subsequently formed the National Military Council (NMR), seen by human rights watchers as a horrific regime.
The Bouterse era was marked by the infamous December Murders when, on the night of December 7 to 8, 1982, fifteen opponents of the military regime were tortured and executed at Fort Zeelandia, Bouterse’s headquarters.
The victims included lawyers, journalists, as well as soldiers who were linked to a previous coup attempt against him.
Yer Boutersews was only sentenced for his role in the December Murders in 2019 when he received a twenty-year prison term.
He appealed the verdict in 2023, but it was upheld. After early 2024, Bouterse failed to report to prison, and his whereabouts remained a mystery.
There had been suggestions that Bouters hid in Suriname’s extensive rain forests or fled to Cuba or Venezuela.
MORE UPHEAVAL?
Romeo Hoost, chairman of the Committee for the Remembrance of Suriname’s Victims, called Bouterse’s death “truly unfortunate.” In published remarks, Hoost said: “He needed to stay alive to serve his twenty-year sentence.”
Bouterse’s passing was due to add to upheaval in the country of about 640,000 people, which has seen recent protests against soaring inflation and austerity measures.
However, the nation’s government has agreements with energy giants to launch its first primary offshore oil production in 2028.
Energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie has estimated Suriname’s discovered resources to be more than 2.4 billion barrels of oil and liquids and more than 12.5 trillion cubic feet of gas.
Shell, TotalEnergies, QatarEnergy, and Petronas signed production-sharing contracts with Suruname’s state-run Staatsolie for at least three offshore blocks.
The government hopes this will help to revive Suriname as a prosperous nation in the post-Bouterse era.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.