
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
LUXEMBOURG (Worthy News) – The European Union said Monday it was scaling back its response to U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s tariffs on imported goods and even offered a “zero-for-zero” tariff deal to avoid a trade war.
The announcement by the EU’s executive European Commission came as EU ministers agreed to “prioritize negotiations” while striking back with 25 percent tariffs on only some U.S. imports.
EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic said Monday that the 27-nation bloc’s retaliation would impact less than the previously announced 26 billion euros ($28.4 billion). The tariffs for most of the goods will go into effect May 16 and some from December 1, giving more time for negotiations.
Ministers overseeing trade met in Luxembourg on Monday to debate the EU’s response and discuss relations with China.
Several ministers said the priority was to launch negotiations to remove Trump’s tariffs rather than fight them.
Michal Baranowski, Poland’s deputy economy minister, told a press conference after the meeting that his EU counterparts did not want to be “trigger-happy.”
Sefcovic stressed that talks with Washington were at an early stage and that he had offered “zero-for-zero” tariffs for cars and other industrial products, expressing hope that discussions could begin soon.
BILLIONS QUESTIONED
“The measures no longer add up to 26 billion euros,” Commissioner Sefcovic said at a press conference on Monday. “We listened carefully to the member states and aim to share the burden fairly.”
Brussels also intends to reinstate some retaliatory tariffs from Trump’s first term, including duties on jeans, Harley Davidsons, and bourbon, Worthy News established.
However, bourbon has reportedly been removed from the list after intense lobbying by Paris. The French government fears a backlash from Trump, who has threatened to impose a 200 percent duty on champagne in retaliation.
Insiders said the EU’s revised countermeasures are now worth about 20 billion euros ($21.9 billion), and a final decision is expected on Wednesday.
It followed another bloody day on financial markets, with indexes dropping in Europe and worldwide, although investors also bought stocks that dropped at record lows.
“U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariff ‘wrecking ball’ swung through financial markets again on Monday, sending investors scuttling for cover and wiping hundreds of billions of dollars more off the value of global stocks,” summarized Reuters news agency the situation.
And a wrecking ball it was.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.
The United States is preparing to deploy roughly 200 American troops to Nigeria in the coming weeks to assist in counterterrorism efforts, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.