
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
ISLAMABAD (Worthy News) – A Pakistani court has acquitted an elderly Christian who was falsely accused of blasphemy against Islam, his defense team confirmed.
The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), a U.S.-based Christian legal organization, said the March 6 acquittal brings relief to Shouqat Javaid, who had been fighting the charges for nearly two years.
Javaid, a frail man with no immediate family, lived alone in a modest room and largely kept to himself, according to those familiar with the case. They did not reveal his approximate location in Pakistan amid security concerns
The accusations date back to May 2024, when a local resident alleged he overheard Javaid insulting Muslims and revered figures of Islam. Two additional witnesses were later cited to support the claims.
Days later, police charged Javaid under Section 298-A of Pakistan’s Penal Code, which criminalizes insulting remarks about the Prophet Muhammad’s family members, and he was arrested.
CASE MARKED BY DELAYS
Legal aid group Organization for Legal Aid, an ACLJ affiliate, intervened, securing post-arrest bail for Javaid, meaning he was released from custody while awaiting trial, sources said.
However, the case was repeatedly delayed, with roughly 13 postponements between September 2024 and January 2026, largely due to the complainant’s failure to appear in court or present sufficient evidence, the ACLJ noted.
Javaid remained under legal uncertainty throughout the process, relying on legal advocates as he had no family support, Christian representatives added.
On March 6, his lawyers sought acquittal citing lack of evidence, but the judge dismissed the case outright, clearing him of all charges.
The ACLJ emphasized that the ruling underscores the importance of persistent legal defense in such cases.
PATTERN OF CONTROVERSIAL CASES
Rights groups say Javaid’s case reflects broader concerns about the misuse of blasphemy laws in Pakistan.
Between 1987 and 2021, at least 1,800 people were charged under such laws, disproportionately affecting religious minorities, according to rights activists.
Numerous Christians and others accused of blasphemy have also been killed in mob violence or targeted attacks, often before their cases could be resolved in court.
One of the most prominent cases involved Christian woman Asia Bibi, who was sentenced to death in 2010 before being acquitted by Pakistan’s Supreme Court in 2018 after years on death row.
Her case sparked nationwide protests, and even those defending her—including politicians—were killed, highlighting the risks surrounding blasphemy allegations.
MINORITY UNDER PRESSURE
In other instances, accusations have led to lynchings of suspects, underscoring the volatile nature of such claims.
Pakistan, a Muslim-majority nation of more than 240 million people, is home to an estimated 3 to 4 million Christians, making up roughly 1.5 to 2 percent of the population.
The country ranks among the most difficult places in the world to be a Christian, placing 7th on the annual World Watch List compiled by advocacy group Open Doors. Pakistan has consistently been listed among the ten worst countries due to factors including strict blasphemy laws, societal discrimination, forced conversions, and violence against Christian communities, according to researchers.
Advocacy groups say such conditions leave many Christians vulnerable to false accusations, intimidation, and legal uncertainty.
While Pakistan has not carried out executions for blasphemy in recent years, those accused often face lengthy legal battles, threats, or mob violence, including lynchings. Advocacy groups say allegations are sometimes driven by personal disputes, putting vulnerable minorities at risk, and warn that Javaid’s acquittal underscores the need for stronger safeguards and fair trials.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.
Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.
Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.
Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.
Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.