
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – While Egypt’s Islamic government has recently taken steps toward improving relations with the Egyptian Christian community, three Christian men were hospitalized last week following an attack by Islamic extremists armed with knives and machetes in Minya province, Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) reports.
On November 5, four armed Islamist men attacked the three Christians at a pharmacy in Ashruba village in Bani Mazar, Minya province in Upper Egypt, CSW reports. Notably, Minya province is a hot spot for sectarian violence in the country.
The Christians were taken to the University Hospital in Minya, and police arrested a number of the assailants, CSW said.
“Christians in Ashruba village report living in a constant state of fear as sectarian tension is high and incidents of intimidation are now a regular occurrence following similar attacks on people and properties in the last year,” CSW noted in its report.
“Following such incidents of sectarian violence, members of the Christian community are generally obliged to accept the ad-hoc outcomes of ‘customary reconciliation sessions’, which tend to deprive victims of justice, preventing them from seeking effective redress via legal means, and thereby contributing to a culture of impunity,” CSW said.
With most persecution happening at a community level, Muslim-majority Egypt ranks 38 on the Open Doors World Watch List 2024 of the top 50 countries where Christians are persecuted.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.
Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.
Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.
Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.
Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.