
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Egyptian Archaeologists on Wednesday announced the remarkable discovery of 3,600-year-old rock-cut tombs and artifacts during an excavation on the west bank of the Nile near the historic city of Luxor in Upper Egypt, The Media Line (TML) reports. With origins in ancient times, Luxor has been described as the “world’s greatest open-air museum.”
The discovery was made by researchers from the Zahi Hawass Foundation for Antiquities & Heritage and Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities who have Queen Hatshepsut’s funerary temple in Deir al-Bahri since September 2022, TML said.
The artifacts uncovered include bronze coins bearing the image of Alexander the Great, as well as clay toys, funerary masks, winged scarabs, and amulets, TML said. “A wooden coffin belonging to a young child, sealed since its burial 3,600 years ago, was also unearthed, along with archery bows suggesting a military background for some tomb owners,” TML noted in its report.
The archaeologists also unearthed a section of the Ptolemaic necropolis that was built over the remains of Queen Hatshepsut’s Valley Temple. The site revealed remains of the Temple together with Middle Kingdom tombs, and burial shafts from the 17th dynasty (1580 BC- 1550 BC) TML said.
“Earlier excavations of the cemetery in the 20th century were poorly documented, leaving gaps now being addressed,” TML noted.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.