Christians in Syria Concerned for Their Future

by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Christians in Syria have reported they are worried for their futures as the country gets used to a new Islamic government following the ousting of dictator Bashar al-Assad on December 8 last year.

Prior to the recent ousting of Assad, war-torn Syria had ranked 18 on the Open Doors World Watch List of the top 50 countries where Christians are persecuted. Christians under Assad faced murder and abductions, as well as workplace discrimination and sexual violence.

When the insurgent Islamist group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham ousted Assad and set up a transitional new government, there was widespread joy and a sense of freedom among Syrians. However, Christians have expressed concerns about how the new government will act toward them.

“The war may be over, but now we are plunging into the unknown,” Christian school principal May Bitar told La Croix International. “I try to reassure my teachers and students—that’s my role—but inside, I’m terrified. Do you think I’ll have to wear a hijab or take off my cross?”

“They talk about citizenship and religious freedom,” Archbishop Joseph Tobji, the Maronite leader in Aleppo, told La Croix separately. “They assure us our lives won’t change—but we’re waiting to see their actions.”

A Christian source in Syria whose name is withheld for security purposes told Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need (ACN): “People avoid being on the streets after 5pm. There are jihadists on the streets, using megaphones to call on people to convert to Islam and telling women to veil.”
“Fear is really very pronounced – Christians cannot work, many stay home,” the Christian said.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.

FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
Thursday, February 19, 2026

FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.

Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Thursday, February 19, 2026

Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.

U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.

US Averted Mass ISIS Escape From Syrian Prisons, Officials Say (Worthy News Investigation)
US Averted Mass ISIS Escape From Syrian Prisons, Officials Say (Worthy News Investigation)
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United States military has helped avert a potentially catastrophic mass escape of thousands of Islamic State (ISIS) militants from detention facilities in northeastern Syria as instability deepened in the region, officials said.