
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The Trump administration has suspended transporting illegal migrants using military aircraft to Guantanamo Bay or other nations, citing high costs and inefficiencies, according to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
Since President Trump’s second term began with a focus on curbing illegal immigration, his administration initially utilized military aircraft for deporting migrants, a task usually managed by the Department of Homeland Security.
Last week, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth emphasized the administration’s strict stance last week, stating, “The message is clear: If you break the law, if you are a criminal, you can find your way at Guantanamo Bay,” during his visit to Guantanamo Bay where he observed migrants arriving on a C-130 aircraft. He added, “You don’t want to be at Guantanamo Bay.”
However, the last such flight occurred on March 1, and the Pentagon has confirmed no further flights are scheduled.
The suspension of military deportation flights, which aimed to emphasize a strict immigration stance, might become a permanent policy, officials indicated.
According to flight-tracking data, the Trump administration used military C-17 and C-130 aircraft for approximately 30 and a dozen migrant flights, respectively, to destinations including India, Guatemala, and Guantanamo Bay.
However, these military flights were less efficient and more expensive than typical civilian deportation flights, with longer routes and higher costs per migrant.
For example, three flights to India cost $3 million each, and some flights to Guantanamo carried migrants at a cost of at least $20,000 each, according to WSJ.
According to U.S. Transportation Command, flying a C-17, typically used for heavy cargo and troops, costs $28,500 per hour.
In contrast, a standard U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) flight costs about $8,500 per hour, with former ICE officials estimating the cost at $17,000 per hour for international trips, WSJ reported.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.