
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on Monday the cancellation of 83% of USAID contracts, stating the programs did not align with American interests after a thorough multi-week review.
Under the Trump administration, USAID faced significant cuts as one of the first targets of the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) and Elon Musk, with all foreign aid initially paused. Thousands of USAID employees and contractors were dismissed, and Marco Rubio was appointed as the acting administrator to oversee the reforms.
“Following a six-week review, we are officially cancelling 83% of the programs at USAID,” Rubio said on X. “The 5,200 contracts now terminated were spending tens of billions of dollars in manners that did not align with, and sometimes even damaged, the core national interests of the United States.”
Rubio stated that the roughly 1,000 remaining programs would now be managed “more effectively” under the State Department’s oversight and under the direction of Congress.
Last month, Rubio became the acting director of USAID after the Department of Government Efficiency pointed out the agency’s expenditure on woke and left-leaning social activism.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.