
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent, Worthy News
BUCHAREST/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Romanian prosecutors say they have launched a criminal investigation against Calin Georgescu, the perceived far-right frontrunner in last year’s canceled presidential election, who is seen as an ally of Russia.
Authorities said Georgescu was detained and questioned over several accusations Wednesday, including promoting antisemitism and criminal actions.
His spokesperson said the interrogation came the day he was to officially declare his presidential candidacy in the rescheduled elections in May.
The previous December ballot in which he participated was canceled over alleged Russian interference in favor of Georgescu, a strong critic of the NATO military alliance and Western support for war-torn Ukraine. Moscow denied meddling in the election.
On Wednesday, after questioning Georgescu for several hours, prosecutors said they were formally investigating him on charges of “forming an antisemitic organization, promoting war criminals and fascist organizations, and communicating false information.”
U.S. Presidential adviser Elon Musk condemned the charges. “They just arrested the person who won the most votes in the Romanian presidential election,” Musk said on his social media platform X. “This is messed up.”
US ANGRY
Earlier, other members of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration criticized Romania for annulling the previous election after it became clear that Georgescu had won the first round.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said the cancellation meant Romania “does not share American values,” while billionaire Musk called the chief judge of the top court annulling the vote a “tyrant.”
Romanian authorities also said Wednesday they had raided 47 addresses of people and associations connected to Georgescu, who has praised Romania’s 1930s fascist leaders as patriots and martyrs.
Despite the controversies, he remains voters’ top choice in opinion polls ahead of the May rerun, although it remains unclear whether he will be allowed to run.
Among others held by police was Horatiu Potra, a former member of the French Foreign Legion and military contractor in the Democratic Republic of Congo whose security firm provides bodyguards for Georgescu. Prosecutors said a large cache of weapons and hidden cash was found during the raid.
The tensions came a day after Romania’s three opposition far-right parties filed a motion of no confidence in the pro-European coalition government.
The move was likely to fail, but analysts say it may boost the parties’ public profile ahead of a re-run presidential election.
PRESIDENT RESIGNS
Earlier this month, outgoing Romanian President Klaus Iohannis resigned ahead of an impeachment vote sparked by the cancellation of last year’s presidential election.
Opponents had been pushing to suspend him over his decision to remain in office until a new vote in May.
Romania’s top court controversially annulled the December election because of allegations of Russian state meddling that Iohannis had helped raise, observers said.
The centrist, pro-EU leader cited “national security concerns,” but critics and presidential candidates said his actions were undemocratic.
Iohannis was replaced by Senate Speaker Ilie Bolojan, head of the Liberal Party and a ruling coalition member.
He took over as interim president with limited powers until the May election in Romania, a member state of the European Union and the NATO military alliance.
Georgescu, who says he will not give up running for president, has admired both Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.