
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The U.S. on Tuesday re-designated Yemen’s Houthi militant group, Ansarallah, as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO), reversing Biden’s 2021 decision after over a year of attacks on U.S. Navy and commercial vessels.
President Trump initiated the process to designate the Houthis as an FTO shortly after taking office, but it became official only after U.S. State Department approval.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated he was fulfilling a Trump campaign promise following hundreds of Houthi attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
“Today’s action taken by the State Department demonstrates the Trump Administration’s commitment to protecting our national security interests, the safety of the American people, and the security of the United States,” Rubio said. “Terrorist designations play a critical role in our fight against terrorism and are an effective way to curtail support for terrorist activities.”
In January 2021, before leaving office, the Trump administration designated the Houthis an FTO, citing attacks on Saudi Arabia and Aden. The Biden administration reversed it a month later, citing humanitarian aid concerns amid Yemen’s ongoing humanitarian crisis.
Former officials said the Biden administration considered re-designating the Houthis as an FTO last year but left the decision for the incoming Trump administration.
The designation is the administration’s latest move to counter Iran amid ongoing Middle East conflicts. While the Houthis operate as a regional proxy for Tehran, targeting both commercial and military vessels, U.S. officials view them as independent actors who may not always follow Iran’s directives.
In recent weeks, the Houthis have issued threats to launch attacks on Tel Aviv if hostilities in Gaza reignite, further escalating regional tensions and underscoring their involvement in the broader conflict.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.