Belarus President ‘Wins’ Reelection While American Is Freed (Worthy News Focus)

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

MINSK/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Europe’s longest-serving leader, President Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, clinched his seventh straight election victory on Sunday and ordered the release of an American woman who had been held in the autocratically-ruled nation.

Critics said Lukashenko, “Europe’s last dictator,” was declared the winner after a race they dismissed as “a sham” to tighten his iron grip on the ex-Soviet republic, Russia’s closest ally.

“Don’t use the word election to describe this farce,” said Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, an opposition leader who fled Belarus after the country’s previous presidential election in 2020 and a brutal crackdown on nationwide protests over vote-rigging. “It’s a staged show by Lukashenko to cling to power at all costs.”

The Central Election Commission declared that the strongman leader won by a landslide, garnering nearly 87.6 percent of the vote, higher than the 81 percent he was declared to have won in 2020. Like all aspects of elections in Belarus, Exit polls are controlled by the state and generally reflect the final outcome, observers said.

But his opponents, many of whom are imprisoned or exiled abroad by his unrelenting crackdown on dissent and free speech, would disagree.

They recall that the perceived fraudulent election in 2020 triggered months of the largest protests in the recorded history of the country of 9 million people.

The crackdown saw more than 65,000 arrests, with thousands beaten, rights groups said, bringing condemnation and sanctions from the West.

IRON-FIST

His iron-fisted rule since 1994 – Lukashenko took office two years after the demise of the Soviet Union – earned him the nickname of

“Europe’s last dictator,” relying on subsidies and political support from close ally Russia.

Unlike in 2020, when Tikhanovskaya was allowed to run against Lukashenko and declared herself the winner, Sunday’s election was a tightly controlled and tame affair, with only candidates loyal to the president running. No one indicated they wanted to defeat the 70-year-old Lukashenko, who has ruled Belarus with an iron fist since 1994.

His victory came while Belarus “unilaterally” released American woman Anastassia Nuhfer from detention, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.

It was not specified when or why the woman, who was arrested under former President Joe Biden, was released. She was detained during former President Joe Biden’s term, but when or why was not specified. Thousands of Lukashenko’s opponents have been arrested in recent years.

The West has condemned Belarus over its perceived poor record on human rights and for allowing Russian forces to launch part of Russia’s offensive against Ukraine from its territory.

Asked last year whether he would be prepared to allow his country again to be used as a staging ground for Russia’s ongoing invasion, he answered: “Yes, I’m ready. I’m ready to provide [territory] again. I’m also ready to wage war alongside the Russians from the territory of Belarus. But only if someone – even a single soldier – enters our territory from there (Ukraine) with weapons to kill my people.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.

FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
Thursday, February 19, 2026

FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.

Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Thursday, February 19, 2026

Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.

U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.