Astronauts Back On Earth After 9 Months Stuck In Space

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – NASA astronauts Sunita Williams and Barry Wilmore spent their first full day on Earth Wednesday after spending nine months stranded in space, a delay President Donald J. Trump blamed on the previous Biden administration.

The astronauts returned to Earth Tuesday following a spaceflight that was to last a few days but stretched into 2025 as the Boeing Starliner aircraft wasn’t safe enough to return with its crew.

The Starliner, which encountered helium leaks and propulsion issues when it reached the International Space Station, was undocked in September without Wilmore and Williams for a parachute landing in the New Mexico desert.

Since then, the Biden administration was allegedly slow to ask private space flight firm SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to help in rescue efforts, partly due to his ties to Trump.

However, soon after his return to the White House on January 20, Trump “prioritize the return of the astronauts, officials said.

“PROMISE MADE, PROMISE KEPT: President Trump pledged to rescue the astronauts stranded in space for nine months,” the White House explained on its official page on social media site X, formerly Twitter.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk joined in, congratulating his company and NASA while thanking Trump “for prioritizing this mission!”

STARLINER ASTRONAUTS

Earlier this month, Trump said he “authorized” Musk to bring the Starliner astronauts back to Earth.

He also claimed that former President Joe Biden “was embarrassed by what happened, and he said, leave them up there.”

Trump critics say NASA decided to return Wilmore and Williams in August when it was ruled that the troubled Boeing Starliner wasn’t safe enough.

Yet, Musk seemed to confirm that Trump had been “prioritizing and expediting” the astronauts’ return.

He also claimed in the interview that SpaceX had offered to the Biden administration to bring the astronauts home sooner.

In a Monday post on his social media network Truth Social, Trump further asserted that NASA Acting Administrator Janet Petro agreed to his plan to “let our Astronauts come home long prior to the two-week period originally approved by NASA.” He added: “I look forward to seeing Butch and Suni.”

Petro acknowledged Trump’s influence in a statement accompanying NASA’s press release about the landing. “Per President Trump’s direction, NASA and SpaceX worked diligently to pull the schedule a month earlier,” Petro said in the statement. “This international crew and our teams on the ground embraced the Trump Administration’s challenge of an updated, and somewhat unique, mission plan to bring our crew home.”

LAUNCH DATE

NASA initially announced in December that the launch to pick up the astronauts, set for February, had been pushed to late March to give SpaceX more time to prepare “a new Dragon capsule” for liftoff.

The launch date was then moved back to mid-March—reportedly due to pressure from Trump and Musk—when NASA decided to use a “previously flown” Dragon instead.

That’s why astronauts splashed down Tuesday off the coast of Florida after having journeyed back to Earth inside a SpaceX Dragon capsule with NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov.

However, Wilmore and Williams repeatedly sought to dispel the notion that they were “abandoned” or “stuck” at the space station. “We don’t feel abandoned, we don’t feel stuck, we don’t feel stranded,” Wilmore said in February.

Earlier this month, Wilmore appeared to play down Trump and Musk’s claims that last year’s decision to extend the mission was politically motivated.

“The words they said, well, that’s politics. I mean, that’s part of life,” Wilmore added. “From my standpoint, politics has not played into this at all.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Reverend Jesse Jackson Dies At 84 After Decades Of Civil Rights Activism (Worthy News In-Depth)
Reverend Jesse Jackson Dies At 84 After Decades Of Civil Rights Activism (Worthy News In-Depth)
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Reverend Jesse Jackson, the influential civil rights campaigner and former presidential hopeful described by his family as “a servant leader,” has died at age 84.

Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Monday, February 16, 2026

Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”

U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
Monday, February 16, 2026

The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.

Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Monday, February 16, 2026

President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.

Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Monday, February 16, 2026

A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.

U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.

Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Monday, February 16, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.