
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
KABUL (Worthy News) – A U.S. man who had been detained in Afghanistan by the ruling Taliban group for over two years has been released, the U.S. State Department confirmed Thursday.
George Glezmann, an airline mechanic from Atlanta, was abducted by the Taliban’s intelligence services while traveling through Afghanistan as a tourist in December 2022.
“George’s release is a positive and constructive step,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said. “President [Donald] Trump will continue his tireless work to free ALL Americans unjustly detained around the world.”
Well-informed sources said Glezmann left Afghanistan on a Qatari aircraft late Thursday, bound for Doha. He accompanied U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s hostage envoy, Adam Boehler. From there, he was due to travel to the United States.
Rubio thanked Qatar for its “steadfast commitment and diplomatic efforts,” which he said were “instrumental in securing George’s release.”
Worthy News learned that the deal was brokered by Boehler and Qatari negotiators.
The release of Glezmann is part of what the Taliban described as the “normalization” of ties between the U.S. and Afghanistan following the chaotic and deadly American withdrawal from Afghanistan in 2021.
Most countries still do not recognize the Taliban’s rule.
Glezmann’s release follows a separate deal, arranged in the final days of U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration and also mediated by Qatar, that saw the release of Ryan Corbett and William McKenty.
The Taliban’s foreign ministry in Kabul said those two U.S. persons were exchanged for Khan Mohammed. He was sentenced to two life terms in 2008 after being convicted under U.S. narco-terrorism laws.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Reverend Jesse Jackson, the influential civil rights campaigner and former presidential hopeful described by his family as “a servant leader,” has died at age 84.
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.