USS Nimitz Arrives In Caribbean As U.S. Pressure Mounts On Cuba

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – The USS Nimitz Carrier Strike Group has arrived in the Caribbean as tensions rise between the United States and Cuba, following the Trump administration’s indictment of former Cuban President Raúl Castro over the 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft.

U.S. Southern Command said the Nimitz was joined by Carrier Air Wing 17, the guided-missile destroyer USS Gridley, and the replenishment oiler USNS Patuxent. SOUTHCOM described the force as a show of “readiness and presence,” highlighting its reach, lethality, and strategic advantage in the region.

“USS Nimitz has proven its combat prowess across the globe, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf,” SOUTHCOM said in a post on X, according to reports.

The Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, entered the Caribbean after conducting joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy off the coast of Rio de Janeiro last week. The carrier’s air wing includes F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers, and C-2A Greyhounds, giving the strike group a powerful mix of air combat, electronic warfare, and logistical capability.

Trump Says Cuba Is “On Our Mind”

President Donald Trump sought to downplay the likelihood of immediate escalation Wednesday, even as he acknowledged that Cuba remains a focus of his administration.

“Cuba is on our mind,” Trump told reporters, calling the indictment of Castro “a very big moment” for Cuban Americans and those who fled the communist island but still hope to see family there.

Trump has previously floated the idea of what he called a “friendly takeover” of Cuba, as the island’s communist government faces a deepening economic crisis, widespread power outages, and growing domestic opposition.

The White House has not announced any military operation against Cuba, and U.S. officials have framed the Nimitz deployment as a demonstration of readiness rather than the start of combat action.

Raul Castro Indicted Over 1996 Shootdown

The carrier’s arrival comes after the Justice Department unsealed a superseding indictment charging Raúl Castro and five co-defendants for their alleged roles in the Feb. 24, 1996 shootdown of two unarmed civilian aircraft operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a Miami-based exile group. Four people were killed in the attack over international waters.

Castro, who was Cuba’s defense minister at the time, is accused of helping authorize the deadly operation. The indictment was announced in Miami on Cuba’s Independence Day, giving the legal move added symbolic weight for Cuban Americans and anti-communist dissidents.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio also marked the occasion with a Spanish-language message to the Cuban people, defending U.S. sanctions and blaming Cuba’s long-running power crisis on the failures of the communist regime.

Washington Signals A Narrow Window

CIA Director John Ratcliffe reportedly met with Cuban officials on the island last week, signaling that Washington’s timeline for talks would not remain open-ended.

The move suggests the Trump administration is using a combination of legal pressure, diplomatic warning, and military presence to force Havana toward serious negotiations.

For Cuba’s communist leadership, the pressure is arriving at a fragile moment. The island has been battered by blackouts, shortages, and public frustration after decades of failed socialist rule. For Cuban exiles and the families of those killed in the 1996 shootdown, the indictment represents a long-awaited step toward justice.

The arrival of the Nimitz does not mean war is inevitable. But it does send a clear message: the United States is no longer treating Cuba’s regime as untouchable.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Census Bureau Analysis Finds More Than 24,000 Noncitizens Among 2020 Voters
Census Bureau Analysis Finds More Than 24,000 Noncitizens Among 2020 Voters
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A new U.S. Census Bureau analysis has identified more than 24,000 people who voted in the 2020 general election as noncitizens at the time they cast their ballots, prompting President Donald Trump to renew his call for stricter election-integrity laws.

Trump Administration Clears Final Court Hurdle to End TPS Protections for Roughly 1 Million Migrants
Trump Administration Clears Final Court Hurdle to End TPS Protections for Roughly 1 Million Migrants
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Trump administration has cleared the final judicial obstacle blocking its campaign to terminate Temporary Protected Status for migrants from a series of countries, potentially ending deportation protections for roughly one million people, according to The Washington Times.

Indonesia Independence Day Overshadowed By Deadly Flores Earthquake
Indonesia Independence Day Overshadowed By Deadly Flores Earthquake
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Indonesia’s 81st Independence Day was overshadowed by grief as the death toll from the weekend’s massive earthquake rose to at least 68 and thousands were still awaiting aid on the hard-hit Indonesian island of Flores.

Russia, Ukraine Trade Massive Drone, Missile Strikes As Civilian Toll Rises (Worthy News Focus)
Russia, Ukraine Trade Massive Drone, Missile Strikes As Civilian Toll Rises (Worthy News Focus)
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Ukraine faced another night of potentially deadly strikes as it struggled to defend itself after Russia and Ukraine traded some of their most intense aerial attacks of the war, with at least 10 civilians reported killed in northeastern Ukraine and hundreds of Ukrainian drones targeting Russia.

Nuclear Material Found in Syria as IAEA Revisits Site of Secret Reactor Destroyed by Israel
Nuclear Material Found in Syria as IAEA Revisits Site of Secret Reactor Destroyed by Israel
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Nuclear material has been discovered in Syria and placed under International Atomic Energy Agency oversight, reviving attention on a clandestine nuclear program that Israel destroyed nearly two decades ago.

Battle Over Ten Commandments in Public Schools Reaches Supreme Court
Battle Over Ten Commandments in Public Schools Reaches Supreme Court
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The U.S. Supreme Court has been asked to weigh in on a growing national battle over whether states may require the Ten Commandments to be displayed in public-school classrooms, potentially setting the stage for a major First Amendment ruling.

Pastor, Six Christians Disappear After Police Raid in China’s “Jerusalem”
Pastor, Six Christians Disappear After Police Raid in China’s “Jerusalem”
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A prominent house church pastor and six other Christians have disappeared after being detained by police in Wenzhou, a major Christian center in eastern China often called the “Jerusalem of China.”