
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief
(Worthy News) – The U.S. Navy’s most advanced aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, has redeployed to the Middle East following weeks of repairs after a fire aboard the vessel, according to Pentagon-linked reports and defense officials.
The supercarrier had been sidelined after a March 12 blaze broke out in its main laundry facility while operating in the Red Sea. The incident injured sailors, damaged berthing areas, and forced a temporary withdrawal from active operations. U.S. officials have consistently maintained the fire was non-combat related and not the result of an Iranian missile or drone strike, despite speculation fueled by regional tensions.
After undergoing maintenance in the Mediterranean—including a repair stop in Croatia—the carrier has now returned to operational status and is rejoining U.S. military efforts tied to ongoing tensions with Iran.
The Ford’s return comes as Washington significantly increases its naval presence in the region. The USS Abraham Lincoln strike group is already deployed, while the USS George H. W. Bush is expected to join soon—bringing the total number of U.S. aircraft carriers in the Middle East to three.
Such a concentration of naval power underscores the seriousness of the current geopolitical environment. For comparison, five U.S. carriers were deployed during the 2003 Iraq War, highlighting how current deployments are approaching wartime levels of force projection.
The Ford had previously been operating in the eastern Mediterranean during joint U.S.-Israeli operations targeting Iranian assets, before transiting the Red Sea where the fire occurred. Despite the disruption, Navy officials emphasize the vessel remains fully mission capable following repairs.
The carrier’s extended deployment has not been without strain. Reports indicate the ship has faced multiple technical and logistical challenges during its nearly year-long mission, including the fire and other onboard system issues, reflecting the pressures of sustained high-tempo operations.
Before returning to the Middle East theater, the Ford had also been active in the Caribbean, participating in missions linked to counter-narcotics efforts and operations involving Venezuela’s leadership.
With tensions still simmering across the region, the return of the world’s largest aircraft carrier underscores a clear “peace through strength” strategy—projecting overwhelming military readiness to deter aggression, stabilize the region, and ensure the United States is fully prepared to respond decisively should threats escalate.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward its eastern waters Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a sharp show of force just one day after Pyongyang dismissed President Donald Trump’s decision to scale back U.S.–South Korea military drills.
The Pentagon has ordered 30 American colleges and universities to audit foreign research partnerships and cut off any arrangements deemed a threat to U.S. national security, with officials warning that schools could lose federal research funding if they fail to comply.
The U.S. military’s heavy use of Tomahawk cruise missiles during the conflict with Iran is sharpening concerns in Washington over America’s ability to sustain long-range precision warfare while also preparing for future threats.
Israel has warned Syria not to allow Turkey to establish a deeper military foothold inside the country, escalating a growing diplomatic confrontation between Jerusalem and Ankara after an Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur military air base in northern Syria.
The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is now operating in the Middle East, U.S. Central Command said Thursday, marking a major carrier rotation as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to end one of the Navy’s most punishing recent deployments.
The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.
Ukrainian authorities said Thursday at least 16 people were killed and about 40 injured in massive overnight Russian drone and missile strikes on Kyiv and the wider region, while neighboring countries were placed on high alert amid reports of drones entering or approaching their territory.






