
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
TEHRAN/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – The United States military has intercepted and seized an Iranian-flagged container ship that attempted to bypass an American blockade near the Strait of Hormuz, marking the first such incident since restrictions on Iranian ports began last week.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump confirmed the operation, saying the vessel ignored repeated warnings before being stopped by force in the Gulf of Oman.
Iran’s joint military command condemned the seizure as “piracy” and warned that Tehran would respond, saying the move violated a fragile ceasefire in place since April 8.
Video footage reviewed by Worthy News showed U.S. naval forces firing on and boarding the Iranian-flagged cargo ship as it attempted to approach the strategic shipping route.
The incident raises fresh concerns about escalating tensions in a region where the strait is a key artery for global oil supplies.
MARINES BOARD VESSEL AFTER STANDOFF
In a statement on social media platform X, United States Central Command said U.S. Marines deployed from the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli by helicopter and rappelled onto the vessel, identified as the Touska.
Trump said a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer had warned the ship to stop, but received no response over several hours.
“Our Navy ship stopped them right in their tracks by blowing a hole in the engine room,” Trump wrote, adding that U.S. forces now have custody of the vessel.
He said the ship had been under U.S. Treasury sanctions due to a “prior history of illegal activity.”
Pentagon footage appeared to show warnings issued before disabling fire was used.
CEASEFIRE TALKS THROWN INTO DOUBT
The seizure has cast doubt on earlier plans for renewed diplomacy, with Washington indicating that negotiators could travel to Pakistan for talks with Iran.
The discussions raised hopes of extending the ceasefire, set to expire within days, though Iran has not confirmed whether it will participate.
Observers in Islamabad reported activity around a hotel expected to host the talks, suggesting preparations may still be underway.
However, Iran’s strong reaction to the maritime incident has increased uncertainty about whether negotiations can proceed.
The confrontation underscores the ceasefire’s fragility and the risk of further escalation in an already volatile region.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward its eastern waters Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a sharp show of force just one day after Pyongyang dismissed President Donald Trump’s decision to scale back U.S.–South Korea military drills.
The Pentagon has ordered 30 American colleges and universities to audit foreign research partnerships and cut off any arrangements deemed a threat to U.S. national security, with officials warning that schools could lose federal research funding if they fail to comply.
The U.S. military’s heavy use of Tomahawk cruise missiles during the conflict with Iran is sharpening concerns in Washington over America’s ability to sustain long-range precision warfare while also preparing for future threats.
Israel has warned Syria not to allow Turkey to establish a deeper military foothold inside the country, escalating a growing diplomatic confrontation between Jerusalem and Ankara after an Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur military air base in northern Syria.
The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is now operating in the Middle East, U.S. Central Command said Thursday, marking a major carrier rotation as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to end one of the Navy’s most punishing recent deployments.
The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.
Ukrainian authorities said Thursday at least 16 people were killed and about 40 injured in massive overnight Russian drone and missile strikes on Kyiv and the wider region, while neighboring countries were placed on high alert amid reports of drones entering or approaching their territory.






