
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
LONDON (Worthy News) – British police on Monday confirmed the detention of two teenagers over an arson attack on a synagogue in London, the latest in a series of incidents targeting the Jewish community, as investigators examine possible links to Iran.
A bottle containing an accelerant was thrown through a window of the Kenton United Synagogue on Shaftesbury Avenue in Kenton, northwest London, shortly after midnight on Sunday, the Metropolitan Police said. The building sustained minor damage and no injuries were reported.
Deputy Commissioner Matt Jukes said a 17-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man were detained overnight. He added that 15 arrests have now been made in connection with six recent cases involving Jewish-linked sites across the capital.
Among those incidents was a March 23 arson attack in Golders Green that destroyed four ambulances belonging to a Jewish charity. Other cases include petrol-filled bottles thrown at a synagogue in Finchley, an attempted attack on a building in Hendon previously used by a Jewish charity, and suspicious items discovered near the Israeli embassy in Kensington Gardens.
Authorities are also examining claims by a group calling itself Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamia (“Islamic Movement of the Companions of the Right”), which has said it carried out several of the attacks. Officials stress that the group’s role remains unverified, while possible connections to Iran are under investigation.
POLICE PROBE FOREIGN INVOLVEMENT
Officials say the pattern raises concerns about coordinated activity involving foreign actors.
Vicki Evans said investigators are assessing whether tactics linked to Tehran—such as using criminal intermediaries—could be a factor, noting that individuals may be recruited to carry out attacks for payment.
Jukes described the situation as part of what he called “a modern hybrid war fought by proxies,” adding that some suspects may have been motivated by what appeared to be “quick and easy money.”
He warned the incidents amount to “a concerted campaign against Londoners, against Britons, and against British Jewish communities in particular,” while commending the community for its “incredible resilience.”
JEWISH LEADERS WARN OF ESCALATION
Reacting to the latest attack, Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis called it “cowardly” and said a “campaign of violence and intimidation” against Jews was gathering pace.
“This sustained attack on our community’s ability to worship and live in safety is an attack on the values that bind us all together,” he said.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer was “appalled” and pledged that those responsible would be brought to justice, describing the attacks as “abhorrent.”
Officials stressed that the investigation continues as authorities increase security and seek to determine whether foreign actors were involved in attacks possibly backed by Iran.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward its eastern waters Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a sharp show of force just one day after Pyongyang dismissed President Donald Trump’s decision to scale back U.S.–South Korea military drills.
The Pentagon has ordered 30 American colleges and universities to audit foreign research partnerships and cut off any arrangements deemed a threat to U.S. national security, with officials warning that schools could lose federal research funding if they fail to comply.
The U.S. military’s heavy use of Tomahawk cruise missiles during the conflict with Iran is sharpening concerns in Washington over America’s ability to sustain long-range precision warfare while also preparing for future threats.
Israel has warned Syria not to allow Turkey to establish a deeper military foothold inside the country, escalating a growing diplomatic confrontation between Jerusalem and Ankara after an Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur military air base in northern Syria.
The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is now operating in the Middle East, U.S. Central Command said Thursday, marking a major carrier rotation as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to end one of the Navy’s most punishing recent deployments.
The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.
Ukrainian authorities said Thursday at least 16 people were killed and about 40 injured in massive overnight Russian drone and missile strikes on Kyiv and the wider region, while neighboring countries were placed on high alert amid reports of drones entering or approaching their territory.






