Pentagon Quietly Prepares Contingency Plans for Possible U.S. Operation in Cuba

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – Military planning for a potential U.S. intervention in Cuba is quietly accelerating, according to a USA TODAY exclusive, as the Pentagon prepares contingency options should President Donald Trump authorize action against the communist-led island.

According to two sources familiar with the directives, planning efforts have intensified behind the scenes, signaling a possible escalation in tensions between Washington and Havana. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

In response to inquiries, the Pentagon confirmed only that it routinely prepares for a wide range of scenarios and stands ready to execute presidential orders if directed.

Rising Tensions Between Washington and Havana

The developments follow months of increasing friction between the United States and Cuba, which began earlier this year when the Trump administration moved to restrict oil shipments to the island. The policy is part of a broader effort to pressure Cuba’s government into sweeping political reforms.

While both nations have acknowledged early-stage discussions aimed at easing tensions — including the possibility of a historic economic agreement reported in March — recent rhetoric suggests relations remain strained.

President Trump has made several pointed remarks about Cuba in recent weeks, including telling USA TODAY on April 13, “We may stop by Cuba after we’re finished with this,” referring to the ongoing Iran conflict. In previous comments, he suggested he could take control of the island “in some form.”

Cuba Signals Defiance

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has responded forcefully, warning that Cuba would resist any military action.

“We will battle, we will defend ourselves, and should we fall in battle, to die for the homeland is to live,” Díaz-Canel said in a recent interview.

Cuban officials have consistently rejected U.S. pressure, emphasizing the nation’s sovereignty and readiness to defend itself against foreign intervention.

Strategic Signaling or Real Preparation?

Some analysts suggest the Pentagon’s planning may be more about signaling than imminent action. Brian Fonseca, a defense expert at Florida International University, described the situation as “a lot of signaling” rather than a clear path to intervention.

For decades, U.S. policymakers have debated the possibility of intervention in Cuba, dating back to the rise of Fidel Castro in 1959 and the island’s alignment with communist powers.

Fonseca noted that while a U.S. military campaign in Cuba could likely achieve rapid tactical success due to the island’s aging military infrastructure, the long-term political challenges would be far more complex.

“This will be a very easy military victory,” he said, “but a far more difficult political victory.”

Broader Context: Global Military Posture

The reported planning comes amid heightened global military activity under the Trump administration, including operations in multiple regions. However, unlike prior interventions, U.S. officials have not publicly framed Cuba as posing an “imminent threat,” a key distinction in past military justifications.

Meanwhile, speculation intensified following a covert U.S. operation earlier this year that removed Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro from power, an event that reverberated across Latin America and raised questions about future U.S. actions in the region.

Uncertain Path Forward

Despite escalating rhetoric and behind-the-scenes preparations, both U.S. and Cuban officials have indicated that diplomatic avenues remain open, though the extent of potential compromise remains unclear.

As tensions continue to simmer, the situation underscores the fragile balance between strategic signaling, military readiness, and the possibility of renewed negotiations in one of the Western Hemisphere’s longest-running geopolitical rivalries.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Netanyahu Warns Turkey After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase: ‘Don’t’
Netanyahu Warns Turkey After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase: ‘Don’t’
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a blunt warning to Turkey on Wednesday after Israel struck a Syrian military airbase that Jerusalem says Ankara was preparing to use for an expanded military presence in Syria.

Socialist Upset in Florida Senate Primary Signals Growing Left-Wing Challenge Inside Democratic Party
Socialist Upset in Florida Senate Primary Signals Growing Left-Wing Challenge Inside Democratic Party
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Democratic socialist Angie Nixon scored a surprise victory Tuesday in Florida’s Democratic U.S. Senate primary, defeating heavily funded establishment favorite Alex Vindman and adding to a growing series of socialist and far-left victories reshaping Democratic politics across the country.

U.s. National Debt Hits $40 Trillion
U.s. National Debt Hits $40 Trillion
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The United States government passed a sobering milestone Wednesday as the national debt topped $40 trillion, up from $39 trillion only five months ago.

DOJ Plans Record Deployment of 1,000 Election Monitors for 2026 Midterms
DOJ Plans Record Deployment of 1,000 Election Monitors for 2026 Midterms
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The U.S. Department of Justice plans to deploy approximately 1,000 federal election monitors across the country for November’s midterm elections, marking what officials say will be a record-sized monitoring operation.

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Nations Keeping Tehran Afloat
Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Nations Keeping Tehran Afloat
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

President Donald Trump announced what he called an “Economic D-Day” against Iran on Wednesday, warning that countries, banks, businesses and governments that continue providing Tehran with economic lifelines could themselves face severe U.S. consequences.

Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs as Washington and Ottawa Race to Finalize Trade Deal
Trump Pauses 50% Canada Tariffs as Washington and Ottawa Race to Finalize Trade Deal
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

President Donald Trump has paused sweeping 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports for three days, giving Washington and Ottawa additional time to finalize what Trump says is a new trade agreement between the neighboring countries.

Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills Nine, Raising Safety Concerns Across India
Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills Nine, Raising Safety Concerns Across India
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

At least nine people, including five Bangladeshi nationals and a child, were killed Wednesday when fire and thick smoke swept through a building housing several hotels in Kolkata, highlighting broader concerns about lax enforcement of fire-safety regulations in one of the world’s most densely populated cities and across India.