Trump orders U.S. withdrawal from World Health Organization

By Brett Rowland | The Center Square

(Worthy News) – President Donald Trump on Monday signed scores of executive orders, including one to withdraw from the World Health Organization.

WHO, based in Geneva, Switzerland, serves as the United Nation’s health agency and is responsible global public health.

In his order, Trump said he notified the UN about the proposed withdrawal in 2020 “due to the organization’s mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic that arose out of Wuhan, China, and other global health crises, its failure to adopt urgently needed reforms, and its inability to demonstrate independence from the inappropriate political influence of WHO member states.”

“In addition, the WHO continues to demand unfairly onerous payments from the United States, far out of proportion with other countries’ assessed payments,” according to the proclamation. “China, with a population of 1.4 billion, has 300% of the population of the United States, yet contributes nearly 90% less to the WHO.”

Trump said that the U.S. had long been forced to overpay for WHO during a Monday evening news conference.

“We were paying $500 million. It seemed a little unfair to me,” he said. “China pays $39 million and we pay $500 million and China’s a bigger country.”

The U.S. has been a part of WHO since 1948, the year the organization was founded. The U.S. withdrawal makes it the only major world power not a member of the 194-country health organization.

Trump previously called WHO “a puppet of China.”

It will take a year for Trump’s WHO departure to become official.

Reprinted with permission from The Center Square.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.

FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
FBI Director Says Bureau Uncovered ‘Significant’ Antifa Funding Streams
Thursday, February 19, 2026

FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.

Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Iran Closes Airspace Ahead of Planned Missile Launches as U.S. Imposes New Sanctions
Thursday, February 19, 2026

Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.

U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
U.S. Amasses Largest Middle East Air Buildup Since 2003 Iraq War as Trump Weighs Iran Options
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.