
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – President Trump revealed that Chinese officials have reached out to the U.S. “a number of times” since the trade war began, signaling ongoing behind-the-scenes communication between the two economic powers.
When asked Thursday in the Oval Office whether there had been contact with Beijing following the imposition of tariffs, Trump responded, “Oh sure, a lot. A lot. All the time. We’re talking.” However, he declined to confirm whether he had personally spoken with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
“We will talk about that soon. It’s not that important because honestly we’re going to have a deal,” Trump added. “I believe we’re going to have a deal with China and if we don’t, we’re going to have a deal anyway, because we’re gonna set a certain target and that’s going to be it.”
His comments suggested confidence in the administration’s trade strategy, with or without a formal agreement from China.
U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick praised the Trump administration’s global tariff policy, saying it has prompted an unprecedented wave of international engagement with the United States.
“Our tariff policy around the world has every country in the world coming in and talking to us,” Lutnick said. “It is incredible. We had country after country in yesterday.”
Expressing optimism about the ongoing trade standoff with Beijing, Lutnick added, “We are confident that we will work out something with China and the president knows what he wants to do, and I think he knows better than anybody else in the world and we are confident this is going to work out well.”
He emphasized that the benefits of the tariffs would be far-reaching. “These tariffs will work out for U.S. farmers, for our ranchers, for our fishermen, for our businesses.”
Lutnick also pointed to a surge in domestic investment as evidence of the policy’s success. “The scale of companies coming to America…the scale of factories coming to America is mind-boggling, driven by Donald Trump’s tariff policy which has got the world coming and finally respecting the United States of America,” he said.
When asked whether he believes China will refrain from raising tariffs on American goods beyond the current 125%, and what the U.S. response would be if they do, President Trump offered a measured reply.
“Well, at a certain point I don’t want them to go higher because at a certain point you make it where people don’t buy,” Trump said, acknowledging the economic limits of escalating tariffs.
The president’s remarks come amid a tit-for-tat trade war that has seen both nations impose steep tariffs on each other’s exports. While many Chinese goods currently face a 145% tariff from the United States, Trump’s response suggests a recognition of the economic tipping point beyond which tariffs may begin to backfire, hurting consumers and trade flows on both sides.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Sunday that countries participating in his Gaza “Board of Peace” have pledged more than $5 billion toward humanitarian relief and reconstruction efforts in the Gaza Strip, along with committing thousands of personnel to support new security arrangements in the enclave.
An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an ongoing prosecution of groups the Trump administration has designated as foreign terrorist organizations.
Two pastors in eastern Uganda who were reportedly attacked by a group of Muslim extremists have been discharged from a hospital and are continuing to recover at home, Worthy News learned Sunday.
Western leaders sought to project unity at the 2026 Munich Security Conference despite tensions over U.S. interest in acquiring Greenland, differences on ending the war in Ukraine, and questions surrounding the future of transatlantic cooperation.
The Pentagon is deploying the Navy’s largest and most advanced aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, to the Middle East as the United States intensifies preparations for potential military action against Iran.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said over the weekend that Hungary should fear the European Union more than Russia, pledging to dismantle what he called Brussels’ “oppressive machinery” ahead of heated parliamentary elections in April.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has pledged to deepen cooperation with a group of four Central and Eastern European nations, including Hungary and Slovakia, despite concerns over their leaders’ perceived authoritarian style and refusal to provide military aid to war-torn Ukraine.