
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
SEOUL (Worthy News) – Despite political turmoil, South Korea rang in the New Year with a digital pledge to citizens aged 17 and over: They will soon be able to store their resident registration cards on their smartphones.
A trial has begun in nine regions across the country, with the Ministry of Interior and Safety evaluating the system’s stability before expanding the program nationwide by March, officials said.
The ministry announced that these new “mobile [identification documents or] IDs” use “blockchain and encryption” technologies to keep personal information “safe” and avoid fraud.
Observers called it a milestone moment as South Korea seeks to dump its traditional physical ID system introduced in 1968, a development closely watched by other Asian nations.
Worthy News learned that in late 2023, when South Korea prepared to expand its digital ID toolbox, some 15 government officials from Indonesia, Southeast Asia’s largest economy, visited the country to study its digitalization efforts.
“The age of digitalization has presented countries around the globe with unique opportunities and challenges. For Indonesia, the introduction of a digital ID system is not just a technological advancement but a strategic necessity,” the World Bank Group said in a statement seen by Worthy News.
“It promises to revolutionize how citizens interact with government services, enhance the efficiency of public service delivery, and significantly improve data security and integrity,” it argued.
INDONESIA INTERESTED
“By adopting a digital ID system, Indonesia can streamline administrative processes, bolster economic growth, and ensure a more inclusive and equitable access to government services for its diverse population,” the World Bank Group added.
This is the fourth type of mobile identification card issued by the South Korean government, following the mobile driver’s license, the national veterans’ registration card, and the overseas Korean identification card, which have all been introduced since 2021.
The nine regions included in the latest test of digital car registration include
Sejong City, HongCheon County in Gangwon Province, Goyang City in Gyeonggi Province, Geochang County in South Gyeongsang Province, Seo-gu District in Daejeon, Gunwi County in Daegu, Ulju County in Ulsan as well as Yeosu city, and Yeongnam county in South Jeolla province, officials said.
Although critics expressed concern about privacy issues, the digitalization of IDs seems unstoppable in Southeast Asia.
There were no indications Sunday that the launch of a new digital ID system in South Korea was undermined by a standoff between the country’s military and forces of impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol.
South Korean investigators have again asked the country’s acting president to order the presidential security service to comply with an arrest warrant for Yoon over his brief declaration of martial law last month.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.