
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
OREBRO, SWEDEN (Worthy News) – At least five people were shot at a Swedish school Tuesday, officials said, adding that emergency services have responded massively to the ongoing attack in the town of Örebro, 200 kilometers (125 miles) west of Stockholm, the capital.
Local authorities said four people had been admitted to hospitals in the area after the attack. The age or extent of their injuries is not currently known.
There were no immediate reports of possible deaths. Swedish media reported that an automatic weapon may have been used in the shootings at the Risbergska school in Örebro. Authorities said the situation remains dangerous.
Shots were also fired at police, according to local news reports, although no injuries were reported in that confrontation.
Police later described the attacker as a man and added that he may be among the injured. His motives were not immediately clear.
Authorities declined to confirm the age or the profile of the injured.
Students who escaped or were outside have been accommodated in schools located next to the affected area, Worthy News learned.
SHOCKING NATION
The shooting shook the area around the school, which says on its website that it mainly deals with adult education.
It works with people over 20 years old and offers various training and language courses for immigrants to Sweden.
The Swedish Justice Minister Gunnar Strömmer called the situation “very serious” in a Nordic nation that views itself as open and tolerant and recently joined the NATO military alliance.
The Left party leader, Nooshi Dadgostar, said her thoughts are with those affected and stressed that the country needs to “find our way out” of violence.
Teresa Carvalho of the Social Democrats also expressed similar sentiments.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.
FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.
Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.
The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.
The United States military has helped avert a potentially catastrophic mass escape of thousands of Islamic State (ISIS) militants from detention facilities in northeastern Syria as instability deepened in the region, officials said.