
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
MOSCOW/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Russia evacuated part of its embassy staff from the Syrian capital, Damascus, on Sunday after pulling back its military from frontlines and other positions, Worthy News established Sunday.
The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow confirmed that embassy staff departed on a special Russian Air Force flight on Sunday to Moscow following the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad, a key Kremlin ally, last week.
Ministry officials said that the flight also carried diplomats from Belarus, North Korea, and Abkhazia, a separatist region in Georgia backed by Moscow.
The exact number of people on board was not disclosed.
Yet it came after Russia pulled back its military from the front lines in northern Syria and posts in the Alawite Mountains, several Russian sources said.
The ousting of Assad, who, along with his late father, former President Hafez al-Assad, forged a close alliance with Moscow, has thrown the future of Russia’s bases – the Hmeimim airbase in Latakia and the Tartous naval facility – into question.
LEAVING SYRIA
Satellite footage reviewed by Worthy News showed what appeared to be at least two Antonov AN-124s, among the world’s largest cargo planes, at the Hmeimim base with their nose cones open, apparently preparing to load up.
At least one cargo plane flew out on Saturday for Libya, Syrian security sources outside the facility said.
The move is part of broader efforts by Moscow to pull back its forces from the front lines while withdrawing some heavy equipment and senior Syrian officers, according to security officials.
However, Russian and Syrian sources suggested that Russia was not pulling out entirely of its two main bases and currently had no intention of doing so, despite the government takeover by Islamic rebels.
Syria, with a key naval base, is seen as a strategic nation for Russia to maintain its military and political footprint in the volatile Middle East.
Despite its presence, Russia was apparently unable or unwilling to keep Assad in power amid its war against Ukraine, Europe’s bloodiest armed conflict since World War Two.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.